Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM

Default Pro Tools First vs. Regular Pro Tools Hardware Compatibility

Hi folks!

Complete Pro Tools newb yet have been doing computer recording since Cakewalk Sonar v 1.0 (Yeah...STILL running it)!

As you may have guessed I'm now upgrading from my original ole' Sonar V1.0 and I'm looking into different DAW's. I really like the clean look of Pro Tools and am going to try and give Pro Tools First a shot before I take the plunge.

Here's the question... Is there a difference between PTF and "Regular" Pro Tools in the hardware that is supported? Specifically, I have a Behringer Firepower FCA610 and I love it. It's worked flawlessly since I got it yet, upon attempting to get it to work with PTF all I get is a never ending loop of Bit Rate vs. Sample Rate errors (I "must" set the rate to 32, 64 etc...etc....yet all I have available is 24 & 48).

I'm not above just going to a Trial of "regular" Pro Tools but I'm not going to waste my time if I'm going to see the same hardware compatibility issues. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 03-24-2020, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First vs. Regular Pro Tools Hardware Compatibility

PTF will work with any ASIO or Core Audio interface, which is the same as the vanilla version of PT.
Pro Tools Ultimate supports ASIO, Core Audio as well as Avid HD interfaces.

So, your problems should have nothing to do with PTF. Please read the Help Us Help You guide for tips on optimization and troubleshooting Pro Tools.

System Details
Old 04-02-2020, 09:50 AM

Thanks Will....I'll do that.

My only real issue was that PTF is asking me to set parameters that do not exist on the Control Panel of my DAC. Very strange....
Old 04-02-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
with PTF all I get is a never ending loop of Bit Rate vs. Sample Rate errors (I "must" set the rate to 32, 64 etc...etc....yet all I have available is 24 & 48)
Hi, welcome to the community.

Could you please post the exact error message you are getting because this does not make sense to me.

Playback Buffers are 32 / 64 / 128 etc
Bit Depths are 16 / 24 / 32float
Sampling Rates are 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 kHz and so on depending on hardware
Old 04-02-2020, 04:05 PM

You left out way more info than you included so I'll toss some basic stuff out.
#1-for Windows users, set the interface you want to use with Pro Tools so that it is NOT the "Default Playback Device" in Windows sound settings(assign that to the on-board sound card).
#2-its nearly impossible to give too much information, and more details can be learned via the link near the top of this(and every) DUC page named Learn & Suppot.
#3-On Windows, Pro Tools will only address 1 "audio engine", so its not possible to use one interface for inputs and a second interface for outputs(which CAN be done on a Mac by creating "aggregate" routing).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave