Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 03-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Default MAC Aggregate device: axe2+Motu+DI box?

Hey guys I need some assistance with my new motu setup. My current setup: MacBook, pro tools 11, Aggregated - axe2 via USB and Motu via FireWire for processed signal and DI simultaneous tracking.

ive recently just upgraded interfaces from the presonus firestudio to a motu 896mk3 hybrid. I’ve never had this issue with my presonus. After upgrading, I’ve encountered a H/W buffer error stating I needed to remove plugins or change the sample size. I think This was mostly due to 2 different system clocking or non-synchronizing devices (drift correction). I’ve messed with all the settings, changed system clocks to match the axe2 etc. same issue every time.

To avoid this error, I was told to simply just connect the axe directly into my motu’s AES/EBU via XLR IN. But from my research I’ve read that it only allows the processed signal to go through the interface (the axe's DI inputs are 3-4). Someone recommended I purchase the Samson MD-1 S-Max series to get both DI+processed signals to eliminate the aggregated device and just have the motu as the main system clock source and interface.

Would anyone recommend going this route? If I bought the DI box, is this going to be the best solution for simultaneous processed+DI tracking?
What about S/PDIF, is this also the same concept and purpose?