Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM

Default Broadcast levels again!

Hi all!

Im doing my first big audio job for TV.

Its a 8 ep 30min Tv series.

I have my room proper calibrated and has diceded to mix @ 77dbspl after
reading different threads.

recently I downloaded the Spec for the channel im delivering the mixes to and would need some help understanding this proper!

This is from the spec sheet;

DYNAMIC RANGE
The dynamic range of sound programme material should be suited to television broadcasts
and work for a small mono television set as well as a home cinema.
Listening evaluations guarantee full audibility. Evaluation is performed at a low listening level
(57 dBC SPL/channel), using loudspeakers with a linear frequency response.

PROGRAMME LEVEL
In order to achieve uniform programme levels during an entire broadcast, normal speech
should be levelled to between 0 dB and +6 dB.
Signal peaks may not exceed the reference level “TEST” (0 dB, corresponding to -18 dBFS) by
more than +9 dB, as measured with a peak programme meter with an integration time of 10
ms ±2 ms, using the Nordic scale. (Cf. EBU Tech 3205.)

----

So if I understand this right this means

mixing @ 57 DbSPL
program peak @ -9dbFS , (-18dbfs + 9)
speeh level @ -18 to -12dbfs

Im going to deliver it in 6 iso 5.1 channels and a Lt/Rt stereo mix.

Would be very glad for any helpfull tips and personal experience in this!

Here is the link to the Specsheet if anyone is up for giving me some more guidelines! :)

http://svt.se/content/1/c6/41/21/70/...May%202009.pdf

regars
benny
Old 10-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Broadcast levels again!

Quote:
mixing @ 57 DbSPL
program peak @ -9dbFS , (-18dbfs + 9)
speeh level @ -18 to -12dbfs

No, what they are saying is that if you play your show back at 57 dBSPL, you should hear dialog clearly. DO NOT MIX AT THAT LEVEL.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 PM

...but do do a playback through a domestic television at that kind of a level before you send the masters off!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIAFXMX View Post
No, what they are saying is that if you play your show back at 57 dBSPL, you should hear dialog clearly. DO NOT MIX AT THAT LEVEL.
Or else what?

IMO, critical balancing decisions for broadcast should be listened to at low level. You don't want to do a "final-playback" on your TV after mixing for a couple few days to find out things are missing. I can quickly toggle between 2 dbSPL settings, I leave one high and one low and often go back and forth throughout the mix.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Any method to give a different listening perspective is good.

yazoo wrote
Quote:
So if I understand this right this means...mixing @ 57 DbSPL
I think diafxmx was simply trying to reinforce what yazoo already knows, that such a monitor level is too low to be a practical mixing level. You cannot adequately hear most problems at such a low level. Yazoo wrote he is thinking to set his monitors for 77db, which sounds like a good approach to me.

For perspective, I personally like to listen to a MONO combine of the LtRt downmixed from 5.1 played through a really awful little TV. Unfortunately the TV distorts unless it is played very softly so clients hate it. I do that check without their presence. BTW, I typically use 75-77dbC for tv mixing, depending on the target dialnorm level.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:14 PM

Calm down Nathand!!

What I meant was not to calibrate at that level.

You cant mix at that level either, its only good to verify the balance.

I personally do the room next door listen. If I cn discern dialogue over the music when in another room, then
Im OK
Old 10-14-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I personally do the room next door listen. If I cn discern dialogue over the music when in another room, then
Im OK
Back when I used to do records, we used a "hallway check". Same thing.

Didn't I hear that some mix places experimented with low level pink noise played through the surround speakers, to raise the mix room ambient noise level? I tried that a couple years ago. Didn't help. Before that I sometimes turned a mono Auratone face down on its stand. The hallway checked works as well and clients enjoy it more.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Calm down Nathand!!

What I meant was not to calibrate at that level.

You cant mix at that level either, its only good to verify the balance.

Im OK
Sorry, I was trying to be funny.

+1 on the "Other-Room / Hallway" check.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:51 PM

Where did you get the 77db thing from?

Living the dream.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 PM

I have a bit of experience in this, I have done over 300 episodes for television but in my case my shows HAD to pass the technical MVTE (Master Video Tape Evaluation). MVTE is a technical quality control test that broadcasters use to measure certain technical NOT ARTISTIC aspects of a production. They generate a score and either you pass or you fail. The number thing, is pretty straight forward, just make sure your system is calibrated correctly and that your peaks are NO HIGHER than what they are asking you for (I think you mention -9dbfs on a Nordic with 10ms second integration time but whatever it is, just make sure it dead on). The "harder part" is the subjective listening test that they will perform. They will listen to the program at low levels to make sure that "the dialogue and whatever else they think is important" can be heard clearly overthe sound of the fridge, the dog barking, the kids, etc,etc. (in a typical home environment and playing through a typical television set). Many times this means mixing with high dialogue compression, a limiter just below the required peak, over emphasizing musical cross fades, and drastically dipping the music/background to accommodate dialogue, or worse, reduce the volume of the music/backgrounds to almost nothing. Your bottom end of the audio has to be "pretty clean" so that your dialogue comes through without making it totally stick out.

You make no mention of an M&E, or why you are delivering LTRT. if you are doing 5.1 then Dolby E would be the better choice AND you could write metadata?