Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-16-2010, 04:08 PM

Default Re: PT Performance - Davec I & Davec II Tests

Hello all,

I've been skimming through some threads and noticed a new test floating around called the D-Verb test. I'm a little concerned for a few reasons. Is the Davec I/II test still being used at all. I see more and more posts with people using the D-Verb test.

Point 1: The D-Verb test as I read it is simply a "load test". A load test is a "how many can I add" test which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing however it is NOT a "Regression Test". A regression test is "how much can I do". The Davec tests include automation, recording, load (with stock plugins) etc. and is in my opinion (and I have a computer-science background) a much better test of the software and hardware bundle.

Point 2: Now that a different test is being used, all the data collected from the previous years (posts) is absolutely useless for shedding any sort of insight into the performance progression of both platform and tool over the years. Which is unfortunate.

Point 3: I've put in, believe or not, a fine nickel (about 1500$ over the years) into paying for bandwidth on the website (even in my absence from the DUC) to make sure the tests would always be downloadable by the community without any financial gain or return or benefit otherwise to me or anyone for that matter.

If the tests are no longer being used, I'd like to know as I will take them down, and reduce my costs on the website. Which is fine (I'm not whinning honestly - just dissappointed ). If I don't hear anything by the end of the month (July-2010), I will make the changes to my site. Sorry

--davec
StudioFX Multimedia
SpellWell Software
Old 07-16-2010, 05:19 PM

There are many benchmarks from the davec to Dverb. The Dverb is used mainly for system building and making sure a user has set up and optimized their rig correctly. If everyone is scoring a 500 Dverb benchmark, and a new builder is only hitting 200 with the same setup, then we know something is wrong and can start looking for solutions. It's most useful for computer builders and making sure the performance of PT itself stays(or increases) with each new version released. The Dverb benchmark is used for system building and optimization, while the davec benchmark is used for performance.

There are many sites and other solution to host the davec tests for free. Use www.drop.io or something similar. Let someone else pay for the bandwidth.

The davec thread has been a sticky for years and only unstickied very recently. I have no idea why it was removed btw.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-16-2010, 05:33 PM

Dave,

good to see you back round these here parts.

I've personally found your original test (I & II) very useful.

I went to the trouble of hauling my 002Rack & firewire drive into a couple of computer dealers in central London, when I was looking to replace my dead Macbook with a PC laptop, and it was invaluable running those tests to see which laptops were goers (also helped that the shop managers were tolerant of such faffing around on my part).

I have to say though, that once done, I've never been too concerned with comparing the results with what's available now - the system works, and that's my only major concern - not keeping up with the Jones's.

So maybe I'm not truly representative of who the test was aimed at?

For me it was a very useful benchmark and compatibility test that I will use again when next upgrading, but I'm only concerned that I'm in the ballpark of what the current state of the art will be capable of - if the system is solid is more important to me than having the highest score possible - it did sometimes seem like the reverse was true for some users, and maybe that's the problem with the D-Verb test, so I also would like to see some consistency.

I guess in a worst case scenario, you could very easily ZIP your original web page, or turn it into a PDF and include the test, then host that ZIP file on one of the many free hosting sites like dropsend or megaupload - and just put a link in your signature.

I'm sure others would include the link in their signature also, and you could put it in the body of your first post in the original thread.

Who knows, Avid may even put it in the "Optimizations" / "Help us to help you" threads, or create a new sticky.