Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Default Loops, sounds and virtual instruments database

Hey all

Not sure if I am posting this in the right forum. Apologies if it is totally irrelevant.

I am just about ready to start reorganising my overflowing sound library and I need some advice. And I am thinking about indexing everything by style, instrument, kind,etc. For example a dedicated bass folder will have all my bass kontakt patches, Structure patches, AKAI converted instruments and samples; Hip Hop Drum Loops will be separate from the Rock ones and so on. Basically anything that I've got and I can organise using aliases and moving/ copying folders, utilising OS Xs finder capabilities.

But I was wondering whether there is a database app that goes beyond the confines of what Soundminer, Audiofinder, etc, can do. Perhaps something that could index Kontakt instruments and could scan the presets folder in the Application support or the Presets folder in the Audio->Presets folder? (If there is not one, I think this is a brilliant idea)

Possibly I could make something with Filemaker Pro.

Or could anyone propose another idea of how to approach this?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Loops, sounds and virtual instruments database

Sounds like a great idea. Most Presets are confined to the plug-ins browser.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
Hey all

Not sure if I am posting this in the right forum. Apologies if it is totally irrelevant.

I am just about ready to start reorganising my overflowing sound library and .....

But I was wondering whether there is a database app that goes beyond the ......
Hi,

check out ProManager:
http://www.redmatica.com/Redmatica/ProManager.html
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 AM

That looks promising. Thanks Steff, I don't think I've heard about Redmatica before!

It says Structure, Kontank and NN-XT in the tin. If I can database loops as well that would be grand.

Are you using ProManager Steff? If yes it would be great if you could share some more info about ProManager. Any good?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
That looks promising. Thanks Steff, I don't think I've heard about Redmatica before!

It says Structure, Kontank and NN-XT in the tin. If I can database loops as well that would be grand.

Are you using ProManager Steff? If yes it would be great if you could share some more info about ProManager. Any good?
Hi,

I used to use it. It was especially useful for my EXS-library as I worked with Logic & PT-Mix-HW before I switched to PT-SW. I used ProManager to sort my EXS-stuff so that I could easily convert them to Structure patches.

I haven't used it for quite a while cause I have my samples & loop-libraries pretty well organized at the moment. Also I'm using the "find-command" of the PT-workspace pretty often. For managing my drum-loops I'm using exclusively the PT-workspace which is fine for me.

I doubt that it will work for cataloging loops.

I would give it a try if I were you :)

Hint: Make a BackUp of all your libraries before you start working with ProManager as you can accidentally mess them up. But once you're familiar with it, it's a great tool !
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 AM

Thasks for that. Would anyone else have something similar to chip in?

I will try and hit a composers forum to see what they have to say as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM

I tried to do something like this long ago. The lesson I learned is things move way to fast in the synth/sampler patches game to make a project like this worth while.

A better solution is just get a 2T drive and put everything on it, organized. Then just use spotlight (On osx.) to find what you need at any given time.

Same for loops.

I also used to back all this stuff up to dvds but no more... Just get another 2T drive and clone to it once in a while.

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 AM

Nice one Rubicon.

That is exactly what I've been doing; I've got 2 x 2TB drives syncing with Chronosync and the backup drive is been kept out of my premises whenever possible.

I was just about to start indexing everything with Spotlight and utilising the custom search folders - in the OS Xs sidebar - and the comments field. But I thought you gurus here in DUC might have come across with the bomb, in the world of indexing.

I'll carry on and use OS X capabilities then. But I'll check out Quicksilver to see if it helps... Come to think about it, would you know of any alternative "Finder" like app for OS X that might be an aid? I remember seeing something, somewhere...