How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 AM

Default Motu 828 setup help needed

Hi there.

First post, so hi to all!

Just recently bought Protools 10 (student edition) and I am having problems getting my soundcard/s recognised. I have a Motu 828mk3 and a Motu Traveler hooked up via lightpipe. I have been running Ableton this way whithout a hitch for some time, but can't seem to make this work in Protools. I have also looked online but can't find any relevant info. Any light on this much appreciated...
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Motu 828 setup help needed

On Mac Snow Leopard
Old 03-29-2013, 05:16 AM

It's still working with Ableton?

Darryl Ramm
Old 03-29-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDEMS View Post
Hi there.

Just recently bought Protools 10 (student edition) and I am having problems getting my soundcard/s recognised. I have a Motu 828mk3 and a Motu Traveler hooked up via lightpipe. I have been running Ableton this way whithout a hitch for some time, but can't seem to make this work in Protools. I have also looked online but can't find any relevant info. Any light on this much appreciated...
Hi,

Try going to Setup / playback engine. and see if the Motu is available in the list at the top as an audio engine?

Aslo try booting Pro Tools holding the N key which will boot PT without any inteface assigned then try assigning the motu as the audio engine as above.

In the AMS audio midi setup. is the Motu showing as an audio device? is it setup to be the active input and output!

The 828MK3 alone should definitely work, not sure about the traveller as well.

you've got the latest drivers for the Motu?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.

Last edited by crizdee; 03-29-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Hi there.

To get both interfaces to communicate with Pro Tools you must set up an Aggregate Device.... connect you gear and open up Audio Midi set up configure that then start Protools and in your playback engine select the Aggregate device...
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown7282 View Post
To get both interfaces to communicate with Pro Tools you must set up an Aggregate Device.... connect you gear and open up Audio Midi set up configure that then start Protools and in your playback engine select the Aggregate device...
This is not needed. He has the traveller connected to the Interface via ADAT, he was not asking about aggregating both devices as interfaces. If his setup works via ADAT with another DAW it should be simple to just use the same setup in Pro Tools.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Hi there.

Chris has already explained the basic steps to select the Playback Engine.

You need to be a lot clearer when you say "can't seem to make this work". Make exactly what work? Use the 828Mk3 as a playback engine at all? Or is that appearing as the Playback engine but something is not working with the ADAT connectivity to the traveller? You need to clearly describe exactly what you are doing and what is exactly not working like you expect.

When you say this works with Ableton you mean on this exact same computer? or Ableton installed on a different computer?

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-29-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 AM

In the interest of troubleshooting, I would set the Traveler aside and just work on getting the 828 going

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 PM

Your Right Darryl.... In that case He would have to refer to the MOTU Manual......
You would have to set up Cue Mix and the MOTU Audio Set up app to tell the 828 where to pass signal.....to the Traveler.....
Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 PM

Thanks for your responses.

In answer to the questions asked,

Yes Ableton is how it should be (all I/O appear)
Motu 828iii is available in Playback Engine/AMS.
Protools I/O sees only a stereo I/O. All of the others are not selectable (grey)
Lastest Driver installed.

Daryl> Hope this clarifies.
I am after all of my I/O on my cards to show up in Protools.
The two cards talk to each other fine. I can run the current soundcard setup on the same computer with ableton without any probs.
On an Audio Track Input drop down only built in mic 1-2 appears.

Pretty sure this is my settings in Protools somewhere...