Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 01-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Default Re: can anyone suggest the advantages of M-Powered over LE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo9 View Post
wow, i was really considering buying the profire 610 with pt8 today and now i don't know. the only thing i didn't like with my original mbox was the core audio manager. however, the mbox 2 doesn't use that driver any longer. i did hear some reports of the mbox 2 giving people some trouble. but i'm sure just about every interface does this at some point... so now i'm not sure what to do mbox 2 pro or profire 610? any thoughts? thx
You can get an MBox 2 Pro for 500.00 new on eBay. I did. I also got the free upgrade to PT8 with it when I did. You can also buy a used 001 for 75.00 and trade that in for a 003 Rack for 785.00.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-25-2009, 08:42 AM

right now i am using a yamaha 01v96 paired with m -audio lightbridge,and i am thinking of getting out of this combo and going with a 003 console for better intergration with pt,and possibly better conversion,thoughtsjz
Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
right now i am using a yamaha 01v96 paired with m -audio lightbridge,and i am thinking of getting out of this combo and going with a 003 console for better intergration with pt,and possibly better conversion,thoughtsjz
The 003 Console is awesome, the integration is very, very good...........

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
The 003 Console is awesome, the integration is very, very good...........
i agree but having a board takes space, unless your always mixing it makes no sense, but i have to tell you a secret, the best dance music comes from the art of mixing around on a 003, once your done with a arrangement and have levels, muting, soloing and all can be another orchestration on a 003.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 AM

Hi,
About using both LE and M-Powered in the same computer: is there still the same "problem" that you need to have the same version of PT?
I have both M-Powered and M-box Micro with PT 7.4.2 working OK.
But now I would like to update to PT 8. I am quite tired to have to update both the LE and M-Powered....
I am thinking about getting a M-box 2 Pro and stay with LE, but I would not mind if I will still be able to use my FW410 with M-Powered 7.4.2.
Is this possible?
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter View Post
Hi,
About using both LE and M-Powered in the same computer: is there still the same "problem" that you need to have the same version of PT?
I have both M-Powered and M-box Micro with PT 7.4.2 working OK.
But now I would like to update to PT 8. I am quite tired to have to update both the LE and M-Powered....
I am thinking about getting a M-box 2 Pro and stay with LE, but I would not mind if I will still be able to use my FW410 with M-Powered 7.4.2.
Is this possible?
Thanks!
Worst case you could just boot off two different system partitions.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:56 PM

Thanks,

Yes...In fact I always have a back up on a FireWire drive, so I could have a clone with and one without LE...or something...I wonder how will M-box 2 Pro work compare with FW410... Anyone? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 PM

Unless you plan to do video editing, M-Powered is just as good as LE. M-Powered doesn't have a few of the capabilities of LE, mainly for video editing. As for hardware, there are far more options with M-Audio. You can start with the basic Transit interface (you HAVE to have one to operate PT) on up to the ProFire. I have the Project Mix, which also is a controller giving me greater mixing and editing ease as the buttons, faders and knobs sync up with the software. And I can easily toggle from the mix and edit windows with a push of a button. It also has 8 analog inputs, which is very important to me. I think you need to figure out what you plan to do with PT before making that decision.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:03 AM

Thank you for answering!

Somehow, my "problem" started when I bought my M-box Micro to work on the road. I wonted Transit but I was in a hurry and Transit was for the(t) moment not in stock...
It was not a big problem than because the M-box comes with PT LE 7.4, and I already purchased M-Powered 7.4 update.
But now I realize that if I will continue to use both M-powered and LE (in the same computer) I will have to continue upgrade both!
So I decided to buy an M-box 2 Pro with PT 8 in stead...
I still wonder if someone had the chance to work with both M-box 2 Pro and FW410? If so, is there something to think about?
I made the transition from Digi 001 / Mac G4 to a portable system (Macbook) for a year ago. At the time the M-Powered was the chipper solution also because I already owned the FW410 which I used (and use) with success with other apps as well. OK, the drivers had some bugs but I know how to get arround with it...
Thanks!