Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 AM

Default Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

Hi
Need some help. I have the Eleven Rack and I'm running it through a Mesa/Boogie Stereo 50/50 Power amp. I have a stereo 2x12 Mesa Recto cab. I have connected the rack to the amp through the XLR Main outs that are also TRS.
My problem...I keep getting an overdriven, static sound when using high gain. My first though was to back off on the gain, but when I do, the sound gets very thin. I think that I have an issue with the setup on the rack. What would be the best options for the amp/rig inputs and outputs. I was using the amp outs 1 and 2, but switching to the XLR's did help out a bit. I think there is a parameter that I do not have set right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 08:11 AM

You should be using the main outs not amp1/2, so that seems good. But you will have to play with gain staging to see what sounds best. What are all the Eleven Rack volumes set to? rig and master? What amp sim is being used and what gain etc. settings in that sim? Turn off all other effects to start with.

What do you have the Mesa's power amp level control set to? Does adjusting that make this problem better?

What guitar and pickup are being used? For a test initially unplug the guitar and cable from the front of the Eleven Rack.

What is the firmware revision of the Eleven Rack?

And are you sure what you are hearing is not an authentic type hiss sound from a high gain amp? Can you describe the sound in more detail or provide a sample or example of what it sounded like?

What do you hear with a good pair of headphones in the Eleven Rack?

You should start with the entire cab block and speaker breakup turned off in the Eleven rack. You may find later in fine tuning this that adding some speaker breakup back in to improve the sound (its not intuitive but speaker breakup is independent of whether the cab sim is engaged on not--for just this reason, its a handy tweek to be able to use).

Is the Mesa amp known to work well/sound OK if fed from a valve preamp?

Failing that post online some PT screenshots showing the ER Rig setup and recordings of the sound problems if you can.

Darryl
Old 07-15-2012, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

When you say "static" I remember having static issues on my Tele and someone suggested rubbing the pickgauard with a fabric softener dryer sheet. I was sceptical until I tried it, and it worked. This may not be your problem but I thought I'd mention it.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:20 PM

OK, here we go....
I'm using a Gibson Les Paul with Bare Knuckle Pickups. War Pig and Cold Sweat humbuckers. I have turned off all efffects and ran just the dry signal. The sound that I get is really prevalent when you palm mute. I get a very strong crackle sound after I strike the strings while the notes ring out. The boogie power amp is actually set very low. I dont play very loud. Not a need to in my office. The firmware that I'm using is 2.0.1 with build 0.1.5.7. Just bought it a month ago. I was using the Power amp with a Rocktron Chameleon 2000 and it sounded amazing. Really tight through the mesa cabinet. I also use a BBE rack mount sonic maximizer. I have some new TRS cables coming in. I'm hoping that the issue will be solved with better cables. The rig volume is at -4db and I keep the out to amp 1 and 2 at 0. I use the XLR mains anyways. I also keep the cab sim off. Found a great video on youtube on how to cut a lot of the mud with using the parametric eq. Helped a bit and also using one of the distortion pedals as a filter. Thanks for the responses....

Sean
Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewboy73 View Post
OK, here we go....
I'm using a Gibson Les Paul with Bare Knuckle Pickups. War Pig and Cold Sweat humbuckers. I have turned off all efffects and ran just the dry signal. The sound that I get is really prevalent when you palm mute. I get a very strong crackle sound after I strike the strings while the notes ring out. The boogie power amp is actually set very low. I dont play very loud. Not a need to in my office. The firmware that I'm using is 2.0.1 with build 0.1.5.7. Just bought it a month ago. I was using the Power amp with a Rocktron Chameleon 2000 and it sounded amazing. Really tight through the mesa cabinet. I also use a BBE rack mount sonic maximizer. I have some new TRS cables coming in. I'm hoping that the issue will be solved with better cables. The rig volume is at -4db and I keep the out to amp 1 and 2 at 0. I use the XLR mains anyways. I also keep the cab sim off. Found a great video on youtube on how to cut a lot of the mud with using the parametric eq. Helped a bit and also using one of the distortion pedals as a filter. Thanks for the responses....

Sean
Are you are sure you don't get this when using a real reasonably high gain amp. If you are slapping the strings even gently I'd suspect everything from the guitar cable jack or plug wiring, pickup wiring or faulty pickups themselves. Its hard to think of something specific in the Eleven Rack that would do this. I would spend some time tapping around the pickups with a guitar pick and try wiggling the cable/connectors and see if the noise happens.

If its a mere very gently laying on of fingers will do this then it more sounds like an earthing problem. Possibly your guitar has bad earth wiring to the instrument cable or your Eleven Rack is not plugged into a well earthed outlet.

One final suggestion is make sure the noise gate is not fooling you. e.g. The gate closed and when you hit the string it now opens and you hear what was there before but gated. Do some tests with the noise gate (Amp block second screen in the front panel UI) turned totally off.

Darryl
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 AM

I thought the exact thing with the noise gate. So I shut the gate off completely and got the same results. I switched pickups over from EMG's to Bare Knuckles. The Bare Knuckles are way hotter than the EMG's, but the sounds that I hear are not microphonic. Dont think that the pickups need to be repotted. I should have the new patch cables in a day or two. Really hoping that this will be resolved just from having crappy cables. I'll let everyone know once I get them installed. Thanks again

Sean
Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Have you tried taking the BBE rack mount sonic maximizer out of the signal chain?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewboy73 View Post
I have the Eleven Rack and I'm running it through a Mesa/Boogie Stereo 50/50 Power amp. I have a stereo 2x12 Mesa Recto cab. I have connected the rack to the amp through the XLR Main outs that are also TRS.
My understanding is that when running to an Amp you use Amp 1 & 2 with 'Rig Out No Cab' setting. XLR Mains are for studio monitors.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
My understanding is that when running to an Amp you use Amp 1 & 2 with 'Rig Out No Cab' setting. XLR Mains are for studio monitors.
No, sorry that's not correct.

He is running to a power amp (that therefore expects line level input - and even has some level adjustment available) not a standard guitar amp that expects instrument level signal that amp 1/ amp 2 outputs provide. Even better its a stereo power amp with a stereo cab so he can just run both main outputs to it. Even even better its a Mesa/Boogie so gotta be good.

Darryl
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
He is running to a power amp (that therefore expects line level input - and even has some level adjustment available) not a standard guitar amp that expects instrument level signal that amp 1/ amp 2 outputs provide.
AMP Out 1 & 2 Signal Rig Output is line level, no?