Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2009, 02:14 AM

Exclamation Command 8 - Power up problems

Strange problems occured on my command 8.
On boot, faders doesn't seem to do self test (up and down) and don't respond in PT - totally dead. Encoders and other functions do work.

I have 3 of them, and first thing i've tried was to change the power adapter from another unit, and it worked.
So i've ordered new power adapter from digidesign and when it came, same problem occured.
I've also noticed that old power adapters for command 8 was not the same as new ones. Old one had 18 mA and new one has 15 mA, and i'm almost certan that this seems to be key to my problem.

Did anyone else have or had this problem?
What do you suggest to do now?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Command 8 - Power up problems

Hi,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Sometimes when I power up the C8, it's doing its self-test and then says C8 Offline...

Now what should happen EACH TIME the C8 is powered up, that the faders are moving and this is not happening. In addition to that, the display is vary vague and is very hard to read (looks like there are some pixels missing). Although if you you press F1 Utility, select Display and Block, the display shows every pixel correctly and normal intensity and contrast.

I did twice already a firmware re-install (Surface 02.01.02 Bootloader 1.2 USB 2), but that does not help.

Sometimes when I have this behaviour, it was sometimes solved by switching it off, wait 5 seconds and power it up again. This is very anoying and would like to have this issue solved. (If the C8 powers up correctly, it works perfect in PT 7.4 CS9)

I couldn' find back anything in the Digi C8 support...

DigiTech Support, could you help please??
Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 AM

FYI, I ordered today a new power supply. I still have the same problem, it's freaking me out!

Could it be a power supply problem => I'll tell you soon when I have the new PS.

Could it be a grounding problem? => I don't know!

Is it the C8 itself who's intermittently dead? => that's for sure...

HELP!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:40 PM

helllo. I am experiencing the same problem. did you get this problem fixed? and how? please reply
Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Hi Skaddy,

the new power supply didn't help. Exactly the same problem. So I am still annoyed with the same problem as well.

The remedy to the problem I found: leave the Command 8 powered on between 1 or 2 hours, than switch it off and power it on again immediately, and problem solved.
It's still freaking me out, but I am also still waiting until Avid offers me a solution (;-) of course they won't), but I also refuse to buy an MC control, because these devices look like Santa Clause was in a bad mood and couldn't invent something smarter...

So try to live with it, and go on with your music!

Dirk
Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 AM

Hi,
I have some of these symptoms, too. I'ts on a 5 year old C8 that's been in use almost uninterruptedly. During startup or a calibration, the display dims and sometimes the unit restarts. Also when "fighting" against an automation (e.g. stopping the fader with your fingernail) the display dims.
My theory is: the motor faders accumulate dust and dirt and wear off with long and intense use. The motors must work harder to overcome added friction and when all motors move at once fast, the supply current is just not enough, so it's like the voltage drops and forces a restart. I will try to clean the faders and lubricate them, see what happens.
Cheers!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 AM

Ok, responding to myself...
I opened the unit and carefully disassembled each fader. Caution. This takes A LOT of patience and a steady hand. I cleaned each fader (the wiper is VERY delicate) and assembled it again. You can spend a good 20 min on each fader.
So I assembled the unit again and indeed the behaviour was way better than before. I no longer got spontaneous restarts. But the display was still dimming when all faders move at once (e.g. during startup or calibration)
So I made a replacement Power Supply more powerful than the stock. The PSU is simply a transformer with two 12V AC secondaries. The transformer I bought is rated 2A for each secondary (in total 50 VA).
Now the problems have disappeared completely. The faders move fine and the display does not dim at all.
Hope this can help someone.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Ok, responding to myself...
I opened the unit and carefully disassembled each fader. Caution. This takes A LOT of patience and a steady hand. I cleaned each fader (the wiper is VERY delicate) and assembled it again. You can spend a good 20 min on each fader.
So I assembled the unit again and indeed the behaviour was way better than before. I no longer got spontaneous restarts. But the display was still dimming when all faders move at once (e.g. during startup or calibration)
So I made a replacement Power Supply more powerful than the stock. The PSU is simply a transformer with two 12V AC secondaries. The transformer I bought is rated 2A for each secondary (in total 50 VA).
Now the problems have disappeared completely. The faders move fine and the display does not dim at all.
Hope this can help someone.

i have exactly the same problem. where did you get that other PSU ?? this thing is so annoying. but it's weird because once in blue moon C8 works fine with no issues, but that's just 1s in a while. I already cleaned motor faders few weeks back but it didnt help, i guess i need a power supply
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Hi Dot.
You'll have to do a bit of DIY. Basically you have to buy a suitable bare transformer (specified above) mount it in an enclosure and attach /solder the cables to mains voltage and to the C8. But CAUTION: This is a very basic project for anyone with a knowledge of electronics, but you are dealing with MAINS VOLTAGE, so please let someone qualified do this or you could seriously screw up. Of course this is waaay against guarantee.
The transformer can be bought at any electronics supplier. Mine is toroidal, but i guess a regular one would do fine. I also bought the 3 pin connector.
Cheers
Old 12-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Nucelar

I have recent come across a Command 8 missing its power supply, and was wondering if you know how to connect the secondary transformer windings to the command 8? Mainly which pin receives the center tap? Also do you know the name of the connecter?