Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 PM

Default EastWest Quantum Leap virtual Symphony Silver

I am thinking about buying this for my PTLE 10.3 Windows rig. Has anyone tried this out and think it is worth the money (silver edition approx 150 USD)?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM

Default Re: EastWest Quantum Leap virtual Symphony Silver

The Eastwest QLSO library is not the end-all orch library(none of them are, they all have strengths and weaknesses), but it's definitely a good one to have in your pallete, and one of the easier ones to get believable results from.

If I were you, I'd pay more for the gold version. The gold has a much larger amount of instruments. If you're not in a hurry, wait for their 2 for 1 deal, they seem to have a sale like this a few times a year.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 AM

One thing to remember with the Play engine libaries is that they are still not compatible with Ethernet control surfaces in PT. If that's not an issue I'd go with the Gold version. Been using the older Kontakt based version on a pc for years and it's pretty good for what it has so the newer version should be as well.

Something that trips up people with the EWQLSO libs is that certain of the sounds are pre-panned to their respective places in a concert orchestra as seen from the conductor's podium. That's because of the way the sampling was done as a full orchestra. The Platinum (expensive) version has a different setup, offering samples for close up (think solo right at the instrument) as well as farther out in the concert hall. The older Kontakt version of Platinum had 3 different sets. The panning can be over-ridden.

QAPLA!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
One thing to remember with the Play engine libaries is that they are still not compatible with Ethernet control surfaces in PT. If that's not an issue I'd go with the Gold version. Been using the older Kontakt based version on a pc for years and it's pretty good for what it has so the newer version should be as well.

Something that trips up people with the EWQLSO libs is that certain of the sounds are pre-panned to their respective places in a concert orchestra as seen from the conductor's podium. That's because of the way the sampling was done as a full orchestra. The Platinum (expensive) version has a different setup, offering samples for close up (think solo right at the instrument) as well as farther out in the concert hall. The older Kontakt version of Platinum had 3 different sets. The panning can be over-ridden.
I believe you can now buy close mic and room mic samples as an upgrade to gold as well. Aside from that, the only other difference is that gold is 16 bit samples while platinum is 24 bit. Since the 16 bit gold samples were created from the original 24 bit samples, I don't think there's much of a sonic difference. But I don't own the platinum, so I can't really say for sure.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
I believe you can now buy close mic and room mic samples as an upgrade to gold as well. Aside from that, the only other difference is that gold is 16 bit samples while platinum is 24 bit. Since the 16 bit gold samples were created from the original 24 bit samples, I don't think there's much of a sonic difference. But I don't own the platinum, so I can't really say for sure.
I've worked with gold and I own the Platinum, there's not much of a difference. Platinum plus offers both 24 bit and 16 bit samples in the same package. Just a bit ridiculous I think, but eh people buy it.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. Guess I am going to save up a bit more money and go for gold.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmetalguitar88 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Guess I am going to save up a bit more money and go for gold.
My honest opinion if your interested in it though. I would get the platinum (well I did buy it and I totally think it's worth the price). The fact that you get the three mics positioning all in 24 bits, in one package is a very versatile and must have.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra

You probably already seen this, but on that page you got the virtual mixer, play with it a bit to understand exactly how it can be useful. Not to mention that you can actually route the output of each mic selection to a different set of input in pro tools to stem them down when you're done and have tighter control over how you want the instruments to sound. Each of the mics input are independent by instrument section you have loaded in the play. So basically if you have violas, violins, trumpets ect, for each of them you will be able to route out the mics independently up to 16 out though. Very very useful.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Wow. I have not played with that yet... seems like I might be saving up for a lot longer than I was expecting.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 PM

Platinum is worth every penny. I played in the IU cream orchestra as a young man so I have good memories of what a good orchestra sounds like. EWQL is by far the most realistic orchestra I have heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!