Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Thinking of going MAC

Hi folks!!

I am thinking about getting a MAC Pro and switching from windows for my pro tools daw computer.

I don't know an incredible amount about computers so I would ask this question....

Since with XP/Windows you can only use up to about 3 gigs of ram, are there similar limitations with MAC systems?

If you have a quad/duo core Pro or G5 are you able to use, say all 8 gigs or ram if that is what your mac has ?

Some people tell me Macs are superior than PCs in Pro Tools, some people say they are the same. If I was going to switch to mac, what type of system would you recommend for PT8? What Mac can handle tons of plug-ins, tracks, etc?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Thinking of going MAC

OS X does allow you to use the full 4GB that is a limitation based on the fact that ProTools is a 32 bit program. XP has the 3GB limit for whatever reason. (never dug into that issue)

So currently, while PT is still a 32 bit app, you can't make use of 8GB just for ProTools in OSX. But the extra RAM can be used for other processes that are running (like the OS and Safari, for example).. In other words, OSX can address more than 4GB, but any single process is limited to 4GB. 32 bit windoze could only theoretically address 4GB, but that is limited to 3GB for whatever antiquated reasons...

The new High end Macs are MacPros. G5s are not MacPros. Just make sure that you keep that clear. You DEFINITELY do not want to buy a G5 now, because Apple is no longer developing OSX for PPC processors, which is what is in a G5. MacPros have Intel processors, so will be supported further into the future..

You can build a peecee that is the equivalent of a MacPro but it will not be much cheaper. I haven't seen Protools performance data on the newest MacPros, but I know they are extremely capable and you would be hard pressed to find another computer that you didn't have to build yourself that will give you the same performance.. I wish I had some better empirical data about this but I don't. Perhaps others could chime in..

The biggest difference between Mac and windoze is the operating system. To some people, Mac OS is a better experience. To others there is not much practical difference. To a few, they feel OSX is limiting compared to windoze in the ways that you can customize things. It is mostly a "feel" issue IMO. And to me OSX feels better. (I qualify that by saying that I am typing this on a PC at work, where I am the IT administrator for our company.. So I see both sides every day)

Macs are also more stable in some scenarios, because Apple controls the Hardware and the Software, whereas on a peecee it is a bit of a free-for-all.

A final deal maker/breaker is Macs have much less trouble with viruses and spyware. Some of that is because of technology and some is simply because the crafters of malware get a bigger bang by targeting the larger peecee user base...
Old 12-15-2009, 04:46 PM

I'm using for mobile sessions a (now stolen ) MacBook 2,4 with 4 Gigs of Ram, my partner is on a pc (xp, 4Gigs, core2duo, 3GHz) and there's NO difference between them....

Now I'm mobile with MacBook Pro 2,8 / 8GB and it's AMAZING!

Using Logic and RME FF400, you'll fly away..... on pc, you want to go to Mac (like me 3 years ago)
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM

I'm with Benoni on this one. Besides, Snow Leopard is hurdle number 1 and by the time that is fixed, Win7 and 64bit support might be here as well. Meanwhile, a well-built i7 will run very well and you can build one now for about $1200. Price the 8 core Mac Pro and think it over. No slam on Macs as they are fine machines(just over-priced).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Noooooo dont do it man!! You could build a PC with an i7 that will blow a Mac 8 core away, or wait and build an i9 thats the same as 12 CORES!!!! Whats a Mac pro going for these days, $2500 for a good one, you could build a PC at the same specs for half that since you have choices in brands and that drives prices down, while Mac is a monopoly which is why everything is so high, but there are pro's and con's to each choice, for me im PC savvy, so I have no problems building a PC and troubleshooting things myself. Dont forget 64 bit support is coming for Windows 7 and PT8 soon, so you will be able to use 4GBs of ram in each 32 bit App in Windows. And your 64 bit apps can use up to 192GBs which is the limit in Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate.

Maybe you should go to a Mac store and try one out, I have no agenda here, you need to use the platform that fits what you need a Computer to do. Not what someone tells you is superior.
could build a PC at the same specs for half that since you have choices in brands, that's key with PC, to many brands with gremlins, hey isn't apple 64bit already?, all apples are the same here or china, work in any studio /plug & play
Old 12-15-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Well windows is 64 bit too, that has nothing to do with it. Pro Tools is the one holding back Windows users from 64 bit.

Thats true, which is why you need to know what you are doing. when it comes down to it, all a PC or Mac does is turn 0's and 1's into neat little images and sounds on your screens and speakers. Theres no reason one should be MORE or LESS stable then another, I'll give you the fact that in general it will be easier to troubleshoot a Mac, BUT for Pro Tools if you follow a build that has proven to work well, you should have no problems, and if there is a problem with say a video card, throw it the trash!!, they are like $20 bucks for a PC who cares!! Where as with a Mac you can ONLY use approved (as in EXPENSIVE) parts if you want to fix or upgrade something.
The truth is, the most successful PC users, I've found, are those that know quite a bit about their computers. A lot of them BUILD their own, for heaven's sake. Mac users generally want to buy something and start working.

I've used Macs since 1986, and I had one PC, a few years back, that was built for audio work. It was used as a playback only device (I ran Gigasampler on it). It was very zippy but whenever I had a problem, since it was not an off the shelf but custom made unit, I had software companies saying, "OK but what video card did you put in it?".....that kind of thing. I have no idea, guy, you know, the kind of card that makes your monitor light up.

So if you want to get to work, get a Mac. If you want to noodle, get a PC. And all that is aside from whether you can sense any difference in the feel of the two operating systems (interface, user friendliness, that kind of thing). Many people can't or could care less. I could, and I prefer the Mac. Good suggestion to go into a Mac store and horse around a bit. Warning: Addictive and expensive.

TH
Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 PM

what Tom said!

But it´s usually the best to stick with what you know. If you don´t OS X you should spent some hours, maybe at a friends,
to see if you like the feeling of it.

Macs are not overpriced, because they safe you the countless hours you don´t need to Research, Build and Maintainence a stable PC. Just check the Core2Duo and i7 build stickies in the LE PC forum. They are great! and show you all the possible pitfalls to avoid on a PC.

besides that there are much less viri for the Mac.

so if you either have the time or the money is your choice.
And each one can be a good one.

best :)
Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnoise View Post
... Macs are not overpriced, because they safe you the countless hours you don´t need to Research, Build and Maintainence a stable PC...
Thats true!
After switching to Mac (about 1 year ago) i find that this system does not require "administrative" work.
Dozens of software installed and system still working stable, without conflicts.
I did not reinstall or repair system about 1 year. It just working...
m1active 520 & sub gw s750, deq230, cx2310
Old 12-16-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
so if you either have the time or the money is your choice.
Exactly. Until last year I was spending more time on Microsoft support pages and Windoze forums than actually using Pro Tools. So if you're up to some challenges outside the realm of music go for the PC. If you want to get up and running fast get a Mac. Yes, you might be the lucky one choosing the right PC parts that work from the start – but you could also end up troubleshooting days and nights and then again with the new update of OS, PT or plugins. I had that with two PCs before. My Macs (oldest one is the late Powerbook) just keep running... and running...

And about that OS X - you gonna learn that one in no time. Simply because it's not made by Microsoft and therefor lacks any logic-denying user interfaces!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 AM

Since Apple went Intel a huge largely ignored ironic situation has arisen. I'm not gonna get into this other than to state that Apple is just another OEM with it's own os - nothing more. Does anyone really think Apple has special i7s or i5s made for them ? The fabs are running for all oems and self builders alike.

A friend recently purchased a macbook - and spent £300 extra over a PC equivalent, he doesn't want to deal with computers and Apple are pleased such buyers exist to sell to. He paid good money which he could have saved but he's clueless basically, nothing against him he's a great friend - who knows little about machines mac or pc. If I told him about apple ditching powerpc for intel he couldn't careless - he'd nod and smile but the irony, he just doesn't get it. Of course apple like to impress their green credentials - tell that to the 001 owners forced into firewire, meantime I have an old delta 1010 running on a perfectly modern PC complete with PCI slots with 7.4 on it whereas the 001 fell off the supported list at 6.4

Cheers