Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2015, 09:07 AM

Default Re: CCC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Disk Tools - is that what's also known as OSX Disk Utility?
Yes, of course. Sorry.
My system is set to norwegian, and disk tools is just my translation of its norwegian name.

Quote:
I never said you couldn't manage partitions, just that on non-system drives there's no way that I can see to do that and not lose data that's already on the drive. As a matter of fact OSX Disk Utility warns me of that. It's only system drives where you can manage partitions without losing data. The procedure you write is what works for system drives, not non-system drives.
That's not correct.
I just double-checked. You can add and manage partitions on any mac disk without losing data.

What do you mean by "system drives" anyway?
The drive is just a drive. It can contain one or many partitions, and they, in turn can contain a bootable system or not.

The main difference between Disk Utility and TM or CCC is that DU makes disk images (.dmg), and the other two makes folder directories. It means that DU can't do "incremental backups", but also that its disk images are true images that when restored is byte-by-byte precise, resulting in problem-free boot partitions. Not so with CCC and TM.

And a disk image is just a file you can place anywhere.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Yes, of course. Sorry.
My system is set to norwegian, and disk tools is just my translation of its norwegian name.

That's not correct.
I just double-checked. You can add and manage partitions on any mac disk without losing data.

What do you mean by "system drives" anyway?
The drive is just a drive. It can contain one or many partitions, and they, in turn can contain a bootable system or not.

The main difference between Disk Utility and TM or CCC is that DU makes disk images (.dmg), and the other two makes folder directories. It means that DU can't do "incremental backups", but also that its disk images are true images that when restored is byte-by-byte precise, resulting in problem-free boot partitions. Not so with CCC and TM.

And a disk image is just a file you can place anywhere.
System drive is the drive your computer runs off of; it's the one where programs are installed. I know it can contain many partitions, bootable or not. It's the one drive you can move/create/delete partitions on a Mac and not lose data. Try and do that on a non-system drive (say the drive where you have your PT data stored) from within OSX Disk Utility and you'll get a message saying that data will be lost. I know because I get that message whenever I try and partition a non-system drive. Happens in Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion.

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
I'm pretty sure you can partition unused space, ccc wouldn't boot if you just did it in a folder. Not at my machine, so I cannot confirm, but I'm almost sure you can adjust partition sizes and not loose anything in the main partition. The other option would be to get another drive, and partition it in at least 3 parts, Clean OS not PT's or anything, then a PT's partition, then a Pt's test partition.

I find this the easiest way to revert if their are troubles. Let me know your experience with 11.3 in yosemite, I've been getting more AAE errors than I'm used to. Not convinced yet to move it to my system drive. Likely going to stay on ML.
Well I added yet a third partition to my Mac system drive and downloaded and installed Yosemite 10.10.1. The approximately 5 gig file took about 45 minutes here on Fios. Install took about a half hour as I was doing other things and not paying attention. iMac rebooted into Yosemite and I went about doing the usual optimizations and setup. Turned off AppNap. Repaired permissions.

Installed PT11.3.0 and the Avid instruments. Tried a couple of audio only sessions and they seemed to take a bit longer to load then in OSX 10.8.5 or OSX 10.9.5 but they payed okay.

Installed updated drivers for my MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB. Installed Komplete 9 programs (Kontakt, etc.) and pointed them to where my sample data was (I had used Migration Assassin to move the non-program NI stuff from my ML partition). Tried a PT session that had 5 audio tracks and two tracks with unrendered Kontakt instruments. Not fun. PT cpu meter at idle was bouncing around at 40 percent and while playing bounced around at 95-97%. No PT errors though. This same session on the other two OSX partitions idles at 14% and maxs out at 20%. Tried a session that had NI Guitar Rig 5 on an insert and that locked up PT but that's a known issue that NI has alerted users about that they're working with Avid on this. Still no fix though and it's been months.

My thoughts - going back to Mavericks or ML for now. Keeping the Yosemite partition though.

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Well I added yet a third partition to my Mac system drive and downloaded and installed Yosemite 10.10.1. The approximately 5 gig file took about 45 minutes here on Fios. Install took about a half hour as I was doing other things and not paying attention. iMac rebooted into Yosemite and I went about doing the usual optimizations and setup. Turned off AppNap. Repaired permissions.

Installed PT11.3.0 and the Avid instruments. Tried a couple of audio only sessions and they seemed to take a bit longer to load then in OSX 10.8.5 or OSX 10.9.5 but they payed okay.

Installed updated drivers for my MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB. Installed Komplete 9 programs (Kontakt, etc.) and pointed them to where my sample data was (I had used Migration Assassin to move the non-program NI stuff from my ML partition). Tried a PT session that had 5 audio tracks and two tracks with unrendered Kontakt instruments. Not fun. PT cpu meter at idle was bouncing around at 40 percent and while playing bounced around at 95-97%. No PT errors though. This same session on the other two OSX partitions idles at 14% and maxs out at 20%. Tried a session that had NI Guitar Rig 5 on an insert and that locked up PT but that's a known issue that NI has alerted users about that they're working with Avid on this. Still no fix though and it's been months.

My thoughts - going back to Mavericks or ML for now. Keeping the Yosemite partition though.

I had the same results, between my first initial install and my test, they both behaved differently. One had about 30% with all my normal Waves plugs loaded and 16 tracks or so, the other hovered around 18%. Thinking going to go back and test more on ML then finally install PT 11.2.2 on my system drive.

Sure hope things get a great deal more stable, feel like I wasted my money on upgrading to POT 11!
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
System drive is the drive your computer runs off of; it's the one where programs are installed. I know it can contain many partitions, bootable or not. It's the one drive you can move/create/delete partitions on a Mac and not lose data. Try and do that on a non-system drive (say the drive where you have your PT data stored) from within OSX Disk Utility and you'll get a message saying that data will be lost. I know because I get that message whenever I try and partition a non-system drive. Happens in Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion.
That is simply wrong.
That you lose data if you add a partition to a drive with no system on it.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
That is simply wrong.
That you lose data if you add a partition to a drive with no system on it.
It's what OSX disk utility warns about that you may lose data when moving/adding partitions on a non-system drive. And it makes sense really. Whether that's wrong or not is not for me to say.

QAPLA!