Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2016, 12:01 PM

Default Help with upgrade

Hi there;

I have 2 Pro Tools licenses on me:

I have a Pro Tools 10HD running with a Native card and a 192 interface.

I also have a PT 12 software on my Macbook.

I want to upgrade to PT 12 HD, but I can't find this upgrade anywhere.

or I'd like to use my PT 12 with my HD hardware.

I can use my PT 12 with any interface but my Native system. It just don't make any sense.

Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2016, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Help with upgrade

Best option is going to waves digigrid.

If I remember correctly, to upgrade from ProTools 10 HD, to 12 HD, it's close to $2000. Unless you're doing video or post work, there's absolutely no need whatsoever to upgrade to 12 HD.

Avid has already given you most of the desired HD features in the regular version of 12 which you already have.

You can use the waves digigrid box, which is basically the same thing as an HD native card, that will allow you to use the regular version of ProTools along with your 192 I/O.

Do you honestly need, or do you think you need 12 HD. You can purchase a license for ProTools 10/11 HD for around $500 used.

You could sell your HD native card, and use that money to buy the waves digigrid product.

I'm curious if you've been paying attention to all of the post in the ProTools 12 forum here on the DUC. That particular part of the forum has grown at a rapid rate, significantly bypassing historical levels of complaints for previous versions of ProTools.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-14-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Unless you're doing video or post work, there's absolutely no need whatsoever to upgrade to 12 HD.
I disagree with this. While many critical HD features were added to vanilla, advanced automation remains an HD-only feature and is incredibly useful for both post and music.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Costa View Post
Hi there;

I have 2 Pro Tools licenses on me:

I have a Pro Tools 10HD running with a Native card and a 192 interface.

I also have a PT 12 software on my Macbook.

I want to upgrade to PT 12 HD, but I can't find this upgrade anywhere.

or I'd like to use my PT 12 with my HD hardware.

I can use my PT 12 with any interface but my Native system. It just don't make any sense.

Any ideas?
Pro Tools standard does not work with HD/Digiink hardware. Can't be done. Working as crippled by Avid.

Upgrading 10HD to 12HD is certainly an option. When trying to buy stuff frequently the best place to go is a seller. See http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pro...upgrade-chart/ or call a Sweetwater sales rep. Everything you need to know right there.

Wether you need HD hardware or not, or HD only features like surround and a few other things is up to you. There are lots of really really great CoreAudio (esp. Thunderbolt) interfaces out there.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Pro Tools standard does not work with HD/Digiink hardware. Can't be done. Working as crippled by Avid.

Upgrading 10HD to 12HD is certainly an option. When trying to buy stuff frequently the best place to go is a seller. See http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pro...upgrade-chart/ or call a Sweetwater sales rep. Everything you need to know right there.

Wether you need HD hardware or not, or HD only features like surround and a few other things is up to you. There are lots of really really great CoreAudio (esp. Thunderbolt) interfaces out there.
Sorry Daryl but you are dead wrong about that. You can use Protools Vanilla with digilink products!

http://www.waves.com/hardware/digigrid-dli

The Waves DLI basically emulates an HD Native card, but you can use any DAW as the front end, but any connected digilink I/O thinks it's connected to an HD card!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-14-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I disagree with this. While many critical HD features were added to vanilla, advanced automation remains an HD-only feature and is incredibly useful for both post and music.
I personally don't consider Advanced Automation compelling enough considering the price to upgrade.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Sorry Daryl but you are dead wrong about that. You can use Protools Vanilla with digilink products!

http://www.waves.com/hardware/digigrid-dli

The Waves DLI basically emulates an HD Native card, but you can use any DAW as the front end, but any connected digilink I/O thinks it's connected to an HD card!
Yes, I should have said "can't use Pro Tools standard with HD Native (or HDX)", what the customer has today.

DLI is a brilliant move from Waves, and a deserved poke in the eye to Avid. Ditto with Focusrite Rednet (although they don't do the same there with legacy TDM interface backwards compatibility). Old Digilink is uh looking pretty old.

With only a 192 I'm not sure it makes sense to keep going down the HD/TDM path. There are just so many compelling Thunderbolt interfaces out there. I'm not sure being locked into Waves long term is much better than being locked into Avid. Although sure going with a Waves ecosystem might makes a lot of sense to large facilities who are relying on Waves plugins.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-15-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:48 AM

My strongest reason for the upgrade is the 64bits architecture. 12 is so much easier on my computer.
So, either 12HD or 12 is fine by me, I guess.
if there are others differences that I should pay attention, please let me know.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Entirely your choice, pay $999 to upgrade to 12HD and keep paying Avid's HD support/subscription tax, (in addition to the support/subscription tax you are probably paying for Pro Tools 12) or buy a different interface and use Pro Tools 12 Standard. That $999 you save and what you can sell your HD10 license (only sellable/transferable if never in a support plan...don't put it on one if you may want to sell it), HD Native card and 192 for will get you a nice Thubderbolt interface (if you have a Thubderbolt Mac).

You are running PT12 already so should know if it is stable for you, and that the remaining HD only software features are surround sound and automation related.

Is it showing what I would do?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Entirely your choice, pay $999 to upgrade to 12HD and keep paying Avid's HD support/subscription tax, (in addition to the support/subscription tax you are probably paying for Pro Tools 12) or buy a different interface and use Pro Tools 12 Standard. That $999 you save and what you can sell your HD10 license (only sellable/transferable if never in a support plan...don't put it on one if you may want to sell it), HD Native card and 192 for will get you a nice Thubderbolt interface (if you have a Thubderbolt Mac).

You are running PT12 already so should know if it is stable for you, and that the remaining HD only software features are surround sound and automation related.

Is it showing what I would do?
What Daryl said! Me, my workflow is great with HD10 and TDM, but you need more, which is cool, abandon HD, heck even Avid is telling you that with their new policies!!!!