Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 PM

Default Re: DYI I guess..No power on your new Mbox Pro 3? I fixed it!!!

AMAZING Post - I just had an Mbox Pro sent from UK to NZ and couldn't believe that it wasn't powering up. I made a hook from soldering wire to pull the connector into position and used the flathead screwdriver to pop it back in place. No damage done - jut takes patience!!!

For anyone else who may have this problem - give your Mbox a shake. I could hear that something was loose, and so your solution was spot on.
Cheers!
Chris
Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 AM

Hi guys,

Just wondering how your Mbox 3 Pro's have been running since fixing them thanks to this rad post!

My power issue was not related. Had power to start with but then it just died. I'm really hoping my scenario is a one off.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:59 AM

Same experience here. Two MBox 3 Pro units in a row with a green light on the brick and no power to the box. The vendor said they would keep shipping me replacements, but would not test them to see if they had power prior to shipping. When the third one had the same problem I popped off the 4 rubber feet, unscrewed the four screws, slid the unit out, reseated the IDE-looking cable using a flathead screwdriver, plugged it in and watched the nice green and blue lights finally come on. FYI, I waited 30 minutes on hold with Avid before resorting to this. Thanks for the solution, Blue Moon guy!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Amazing. I had to register just so that I could:

a) Thank you for giving me power so that I could run my session today,

and...

b) Ask, "Seriously?" How is this a common error. Thanks Chinese assemblers.. thanks, a bunch.

If you're having a power problem with your MBox Pro 3rd Gen, it's likely to be solved by using the techniques described within this thread.

Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:19 PM

Fantastic i have the same problem i think !!!!! really do not want to ruin my warranty.... do the rubber feet click back on ? so it wont look like i have been there ?
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi23 View Post
Fantastic i have the same problem i think !!!!! really do not want to ruin my warranty.... do the rubber feet click back on ? so it wont look like i have been there ?

They're sticky so no biggie..just take them off slowly, you shouldnt need any tools but a flat edge piece of plastic might help. GL!!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM

Smile Re: DYI I guess..No power on your new Mbox Pro 3? I fixed it!!!

Hello from 2012.
I can't even begin to thank you for this fix.
Was really paranoid that I'd bought a duff ex-display unit.
But in fact the cable was not inserted properly at one end.
It wasn't even in the clip fully.... so now it is and it works beautifully.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU
x x x x
Old 12-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Yep - this thread fixed me up too! Got a 3 pro from ebay & was really not excited about trying to work out a return with the seller. I do love simple fixes...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:18 AM

My MBox 3 Pro died after a year or so. Googling found this thread. Yup, when I opened the box I found the cable connecting the upper & lower boards was loose on one side. Thanks for pointing out the fix & also pointing out the different sized screws. If I'm any judge of me, I would have noticed there were 2 sized screws but not where I'd have to put them during reassembly.

I removed all the screws & nuts. The whole thing more or less falls apart when one does this. I found this approach much easier than trying to stick my fingers into the guts from the the side when attempting to reseat the cable. My experience was the easiest way to reassemble the box is first to screw together the xlr/.25" combi sockets since they're the trickiest, then the other screws and the nuts last.

Best luck everyone with your own repairs,

/mp
Old 11-04-2013, 08:03 AM

I was having a similar issue, opened it up and one side of the IDE cable wasn't seated properly, I reseated it, now it still won't power up, however two little red LED lights on the circuit board briefly power up when I flip the power switch. Could this be some kind of diagnosis? Completely lost here.