Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2008, 10:11 AM

Default can you spill the playlist in the control surface?????

is it possible to spill all the playlists of a track in the control surface in the same way that we do it with a vca ?

If not how do we propose this to digidesign?

Please I apologize if this is a dumb question and thanks in advance for any answer
Old 12-27-2008, 10:41 AM

Default Re: can you spill the playlist in the control surface?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG MUSIC View Post
is it possible to spill all the playlists of a track in the control surface in the same way that we do it with a vca ?

If not how do we propose this to digidesign?

Please I apologize if this is a dumb question and thanks in advance for any answer
don't really get it. Aren't all the playlists controlled by one channel anyway?

cheers,
rich
Old 12-27-2008, 02:26 PM

Yeah, that would actually be very cool and quick for the workflow.
Good idea.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Avid

Curiously, in early development alternate playlist (aka "comp lanes") when exposed in playlists view did show up on control surfaces. However, we found the usability behind this severely limited, (ie no volume, mute, inserts, panning, etc) and it caused many many screwcases with track selection/focusing, and overall surface real-estate irks. as well, it would have taken major time and effort to special case all these situations and would have introduced a lot bugs.

I hope you find it useful enough "as is".

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM

Well hopefully you'll continue developing your proprietary control standard so that at least volume and mute could be used, and give me an excuse to go for a D-Command.

The comping feature looks great in PT8. Just imagine how wonderful it'll be when things get fully adjustable via your own control surface.
Hopefully the potential introduction of a 'lot of bugs' won't put off programmers at Digi from doing their job.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Hopefully the potential introduction of a 'lot of bugs' won't put off programmers at Digi from doing their job.
I don't understand this comment.
Writing clean code, on a demanding release schedule, that follows pre-determined design specs and feature definitions is what Digi programmers do around the clock. Digi programmer's did do their job in Pro Tools 8. Bravo to them.

-tv

Old 12-29-2008, 03:55 PM

That's fair enough.
I'm just suggesting that it would be great if such new features on the software side could be kept up with on the premium control surface too. I didn't think it was a great show of commitment from a Digi engineer to dismiss the notion simply because of potential bugs. Are future improvements to ICON going to be non-existent due to this reason? I hope not, considering that I hope to be investing in one next year.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Avid

I'm all ears and open to your suggestions. Since these "tracks" (comp lanes) have no automation, volume, inserts, etc) and editing control and functions from ALL of our control surfaces are limited compared to using the mouse, I'm curious what you have in mind.

BTW, our premium control surface does not display comp lanes either for the same reasons.

cheerios!

-tv

Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SessionKat View Post
I'm all ears and open to your suggestions. Since these "tracks" (comp lanes) have no automation, volume, inserts, etc) and editing control and functions from ALL of our control surfaces are limited compared to using the mouse, I'm curious what you have in mind.

BTW, our premium control surface does not display comp lanes either for the same reasons.

cheerios!

-tv
I understand your point regarding volume, etc.
The basic thing that would make workflow much quicker in my opinion is the mute/solo switching between the takes on the surface.
I know it's easy enough with a mouse and shortcuts for engineers but there are lots of hands-on producers around. On an analog board or a voice selector, they'd be sitting next to the engineer switching between takes and telling them what to keep.
Wouldn't it be nice if the playlists being worked on showed up above each fader (faders don't have to function) and solo-ing/muting could be done by a single index finger?
Quick and easy workflow (for some of us).
Old 12-29-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SessionKat View Post
Curiously, in early development alternate playlist (aka "comp lanes") when exposed in playlists view did show up on control surfaces. However, we found the usability behind this severely limited, (ie no volume, mute, inserts, panning, etc) and it caused many many screwcases with track selection/focusing, and overall surface real-estate irks. as well, it would have taken major time and effort to special case all these situations and would have introduced a lot bugs.

I hope you find it useful enough "as is".

-tv

First, thanks for taking the time to answer

second, I can see how from the MIXING point of view It could be useless or confusing or however you want to call it, how ever,
if you come to think about it, I was referring to a focus channel solution that would allow you to use some of the faders of the dcommand ( in my case)

when you buiil track groups, or throw different aspects of a plugin in some of the faders, you are actually changing the configuration of the mixer view

so from my humble point of view, I think if its an option that people can use or not as they wish, I honestly see a lot of positive possibilities

Of coure Im talking as a guy who doesnt know jack about programming, and may be is impossible to acomplish

but anyway, thanks for your response