Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Re: beware Avid Repairs

Really,grow up and cope? Is any repair avid needs to do worth $470?Your going to have to explain?I was not complaining about the warranty being expired,it was the $470 bill.I find it very hard to believe you would not be upset at avid,but thats only my opinion
Old 09-07-2013, 05:21 PM

The 470.00 seems a bit bit steep (to me). Most repairs are flat rate. I suspect that a lot of times with today's surface mount technology that they simply stick a new board in the unit and the service price reflects that. That's just a guess on my part. In that case your better off buying new hardware of eBay if its cheaper. If the stores going to hook you up that's fantastic. Unfortunately manufacturer has to draw the line somewhere.

Some one I know had to put a new motor in their car 70 miles out of warranty. Some situation much bigger bill.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
The 470.00 seems a bit bit steep (to me). Most repairs are flat rate. I suspect that a lot of times with today's surface mount technology that they simply stick a new board in the unit and the service price reflects that. That's just a guess on my part. In that case your better off buying new hardware of eBay if its cheaper. If the stores going to hook you up that's fantastic. Unfortunately manufacturer has to draw the line somewhere.

Some one I know had to put a new motor in their car 70 miles out of warranty. Some situation much bigger bill.
I agree. OP may be better off just buying a new unit. If you are a PT user and you already have the latest version, then check out eBay or Amazon for Eleven Racks in the $300 - $400 range.

If you are a PT user but have an old unsupported version like LE8 or PT9, then you may want to consider just buying an all new boxed unit. A New boxed unit will include Pro Tools 10 and a free upgrade to PT11. PT11 on its own is around $600, you can get a new Eleven Rack that includes PT11 for the same price, maybe even cheaper!

The new boxed unit will also include the ERXP pre-installed and an iLok v2 - and a warranty.

I've seen new boxed 11R's on Amazon for a little over $600, you can probably find them on eBay for the same or a bit less. Get one from Sweetwater for $699 or from B&H for $618

If you just need the unit and no Pro Tools, you can find them used on eBay for $250 - $350 - these may or may not have the ERXP so read the description carefully if you go the used route.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 PM

I would tell Avid to shove it. The repair price is obviously out of line with what you can pick one up for. Avid lost a chance to step up, do a deal, split costs, do something, given how close to being out of warranty the unit was, and make a customer happy (assuming it was not a user damaged unit of course). Working hard to lose customers, one at a time. Sigh.

So the message now is is don't sent any Eleven Rack in to Avid for non-warranty repairs. They are just not worth repairing.

Darryl
Old 09-07-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
If you are a PT user but have an old unsupported version like LE8 or PT9, then you may want to consider just buying an all new boxed unit. A New boxed unit will include Pro Tools 10 and a free upgrade to PT11. PT11 on its own is around $600, you can get a new Eleven Rack that includes PT11 for the same price, maybe even cheaper!
Pretty absurd isn't it?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Avid

Question Re: beware Avid Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicklyle View Post
a few weeks ago my Eleven rack completely froze on startup and would not advance past the boot screen,I tried all the resets and troubleshooting ,now Avid is charging $470.00 plus tax and shipping to fix.I spoke to the local music store where it was purchased,and they are going to help,no thanks to Avid,I't will be fixed and sold.
Hello dicklyle,

I could not find anything in our system based off your User Name or Email Address, so I'm not sure what the Date of Purchase was or who you spoke with. As mentioned in a previous post, Avid uses a flat rate schedule for repairs. Using one of our Authorized Repair Centers (ARCs) can often get the repair done cheaper as many of them can bill actually time + parts (if they can repair that product). If you did speak with Avid support directly, were you referred to an ARC? (Checking with the repair dept to see if ER is ARC repairable - but might not get an answer till Monday.)

http://www.avid.com/audiorepair

Thanks,
JC
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM

thanks for the reply but that was quoted by avid authorized repair center,so,out of curiosity,what would that flat rate be?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:58 PM

How about next time you get on here and criticize Avid you might make clear you are not even dealing with Avid themselves. Who exactly were you dealing with?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 PM

first of all,if my Eleven rack had not Failed there would not be a problem,my issue was never getting it repaired,it was that cost of repair was more expensive than the unit sells for,second of all,Avid advises which repair center # to call for your area, AND it was a authorized repair center that quoted $470.Shouldn't Avid be aware of what repair centers are charging?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
Pretty absurd isn't it?
Absurdly low price yes
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.