Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 10-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Can my D-Command do this?

I'm looking for a way to have a channel's eq/dynamics plugin come up on the dedicated eq/dyn section of the d-command without actually changing the focus channel. i.e. I want to have Track 1 remain as the focus fader, but I want to adjust the eq on channel 2 in the dedicated eq section of the d-command.
I'm admittedly still very new to the d-command, so forgive me if this is basic. But my head is spinning with the options on the d-command, having previously worked for a few years on a C24. Hoping I can keep figuring out new ways to eliminate mousing and clicking!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Can my D-Command do this?

The whole idea of "focusing" a channel is to make it active in the center section.

You could make the EQ come up on the encoders and then have 1 focused while eq'ing 2 on the encoders.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
The whole idea of "focusing" a channel is to make it active in the center section.

You could make the EQ come up on the encoders and then have 1 focused while eq'ing 2 on the encoders.
Well, semantics aside, it would be helpful for this particular workflow to be able to keep the fader, mute and solo buttons available for channel 1 but be able to adjust eq for channel 2 in the center section. Basically, I'm using 1 as a reference track, toggling back and forth between solo and mute, and trying to match channel 2 to channel 1 with the eq in the center section.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:43 AM

Focus the channel you want to stay on the EQ section, Lock the EQ section then you can focus other channels but the EQ focus will stay on the original channel. Only way I can think of doing it. I do this all the time with the Dynamics section, so I can keep my bus limiter in view.

Pete
Old 10-09-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
Well, semantics aside, it would be helpful for this particular workflow to be able to keep the fader, mute and solo buttons available for channel 1 but be able to adjust eq for channel 2 in the center section. Basically, I'm using 1 as a reference track, toggling back and forth between solo and mute, and trying to match channel 2 to channel 1 with the eq in the center section.
Solo and Mute aren't impacted by Focusing. What am I missing?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
Focus the channel you want to stay on the EQ section, Lock the EQ section then you can focus other channels but the EQ focus will stay on the original channel. Only way I can think of doing it. I do this all the time with the Dynamics section, so I can keep my bus limiter in view.

Pete
Ah, that would work I think. Smart solution. Thanks for that.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Solo and Mute aren't impacted by Focusing. What am I missing?

You need the channel to be focused to retain its control of the fader, no? Otherwise, you're scrolling to find that channel to solo/mute it every time you need to reference it. At least that's what I've been coming across.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
You need the channel to be focused to retain its control of the fader, no? Otherwise, you're scrolling to find that channel to solo/mute it every time you need to reference it. At least that's what I've been coming across.
Just realized you were talking about the Focus Channel and not focusing in general. I don't use the Focus Channel. sorry.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Just realized you were talking about the Focus Channel and not focusing in general. I don't use the Focus Channel. sorry.
Ah. As I said, pretty brand new to the d-command and just feeling my way through it for the last month or two, so apologies if I wasn't able to be clear with the terms. This thing is so dense. I know I'm barely scratching the surface.