Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 09-18-2019, 07:14 PM

Default Re: What happened to my plugins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Considering the time invested by both yourself and everyone else, may I respectfully suggest just finishing the projects on your laptop or printing the files with the effects and using those stems in your new machine?

If you’re not planning on continuing with PT, there’s not much point spending all this time trying to get a bunch of plugins you don’t think sound that great working on your new ring for a weeks worth of use.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, it’s not meant to be. Just seems silly to continue down this path for no real reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn't sound harsh at all.

I'm not a particularly lucrative type and I am pretty short on funds.

The macbook I use is from 2012, I squeezed every last drop of use out of it.

The reason I finally gave in and bought a new computer is that my laptop is on it's last dying legs. On top of the fact that the bluetooth reciever no longer works (so I cannot connect any of the keyboards/mouses that I own), I have trouble bouncing out a 3 minute session file without my computer crashing.
I have access to these plugins on my laptop, but workflow is unbelievably slow, as I constantly have to deal with my computer freezing or just shutting off completely. Once I've been using PT for 15 minutes I am seriously in dangerous territory.

I'm constantly fearing that it will not turn back on again every time it crashes (I often have to wait an hour or so before it will turn back on.) I'm constantly trying to weigh up what will take me longer... slugging it out on my laptop, or replacing all plugins within the session on my new computer, which is why I've been kind of anxious to get these plugins working on my new rig.

The time I have invested on this forum does not come close to the time I will invest if I must replace every one of these plugins over 5 or 6 tracks, or if I must finish the sessions on my laptop.

In regards to wasting mine and others time with this thread when it is apparent that I am not planning to continue using the program, this is a very recent decision that I have made. the issue that I'm currently having is just the last straw that has pushed me over the edge. I had not made any concrete decisions on this at the time that I started this thread.

I would definitely continue to use pro tools if:

1. their licensing system and accounts weren't so much more confusing and glitch addled than other daws (obviously this is just based on my own experience)
2. they had better support for current operating systems. I find it kind of insane that pro tools 2018 is not supported on an operating system which was released that same year. If any other media program did that, there would be an uproar. I feel like Avids user base has become complacent to this kind of thing.

Oh, and 3. They had customer support in Australia which did not require me to pay 50 bucks just to speak to somebody. Pro tools is expensive as balls, I don't understand why they want extra money to give me a basic level of customer support.
I purchased live, and had a technical spec question, wasn't even urgent. Emailed Ableton, they responded in a day. To me, that is what proper customer support looks like.

Last edited by Paul Nelthorpe; 09-18-2019 at 07:45 PM.