Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2015, 11:00 AM

Default Phase alignment using different paths to record?

I'd like to tap the braintrust here on something regarding a specific recording scenario. (paging Propower and Rich Breen)

Has anyone tested the time alignment of a signal that travels from an Avid HD I/O or an Apogee Symphony box directly into PT vs. a signal that goes into a Presonus Digimax LT and gets into PT via a lighpipe connection?

Im trying to figure out if I can replace a Sytek 4 channel pre (that I rarely use--basically overflow pres) with a Presonus box that I also have. Just trying to simplify my setup and conserve A/D.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Phase alignment using different paths to record?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I'd like to tap the braintrust here on something regarding a specific recording scenario. (paging Propower and Rich Breen)

Has anyone tested the time alignment of a signal that travels from an Avid HD I/O or an Apogee Symphony box directly into PT vs. a signal that goes into a Presonus Digimax LT and gets into PT via a lighpipe connection?

Im trying to figure out if I can replace a Sytek 4 channel pre (that I rarely use--basically overflow pres) with a Presonus box that I also have. Just trying to simplify my setup and conserve A/D.
Hi Drew - haven't tested this particular kind of setup. Would be pretty easy to check by just multing a click into the two paths and comparing the two signals against each other. Certainly you'll be adding the Presonus' A/D and transport delays to the equation, so it won't be phase aligned with the other inputs (though it may not matter in your app) Why not check it and post here?

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Of course Rich!! So simple. Will try that tomorrow.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Hi Drew - haven't tested this particular kind of setup. Would be pretty easy to check by just multing a click into the two paths and comparing the two signals against each other. Certainly you'll be adding the Presonus' A/D and transport delays to the equation, so it won't be phase aligned with the other inputs (though it may not matter in your app) Why not check it and post here?

best,
rich
Exactly. But the next thing is how do you fix it? In PT you have to either manually add the right delay comp number to the track(s), manually move them, or add a plugin to do it (Metaplugin for instance - used to be a Digi Time Delay plugin for this if it's still around). What if the Presonus box is faster? The method has to support adding a negative number too
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 04-27-2015, 05:56 AM

Presonus through an ADAT input is 36 samples later than Avid HD I/O. The pic shows a square wave, but I used a few different sound sources.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg path.jpg (28.0 KB, 0 views)

Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Presonus through an ADAT input is 36 samples later than Avid HD I/O. ..[/IMG]
Cool, good to know. That's at 44.1k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
...the next thing is how do you fix it?...
That's what Time Adjuster is for, though unless multiple mics on a single instrument/ensemble are being split across interface types (generally a bad idea), the 36 samples *may* not matter to Drew.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-31-2015, 01:24 AM

Little bit older thread, but I just did some testing (and solutions) for this with various scenarios.

I'm not certain the DLA plugin is available in Native like it is in TDM, since I track exclusively in TDM.

Solution:

Measure delay for converter.

Insert DLA plugin on the the fastest converters (Apogee or HD I/O)

Set it to the number of samples difference you measured

Turn OFF compensate for converter delay on input.

Use the ADC bar in the mixer view and insert the delay plus 3 samples (TDM delay) as a negative on the other converters.

The reason we do that as well is so you hear both recording and playback in phase. Otherwise, playback would be in phase, but not recording/monitoring or vice versa.

I figured this out recording drums and noticing the variation in phase when using my HD I/O with a 192 (symphony is on the fritz...).

This works perfectly. The simpler solutions will play back fine, but you'll hear phasing/comb filtering if you're splitting across converters as you monitor. Same thing if you leave the compensate for recording delay box checked.

Hopefully this helps others. You can even mult/parallel without comb filtering across various converters.

BTW, 192 is 48 samples later than HD I/O. Mackie Onyx was 6 (4 connected to the 192 instead). Apollo was 73, IIRC.