Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM

Default One Pro Tools 10 Installer But Multiple Iloks?

Hello,
I run a studio with 2 of my friends, we all share the duty's at the studio but we each have different rooms we work out of. A few weeks ago we bought Pro tools 10, Is it possible to use the one installer disc and everything on all three computers and get two more Iloks? Or are we SOL? lol

Mitch
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 PM

Default Re: One Pro Tools 10 Installer But Multiple Iloks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellcalvin View Post
Hello,
I run a studio with 2 of my friends, we all share the duty's at the studio but we each have different rooms we work out of. A few weeks ago we bought Pro tools 10, Is it possible to use the one installer disc and everything on all three computers and get two more Iloks? Or are we SOL? lol

Mitch
You can use the installer disk on as many computers as you like. You can install Pro tools onas many machines as you like. The actual license is on the iLok. You can use the iLok on any computer with PT 10 installed. If you want an Ilok for each machine so you can use them independently your going to need two more licenses to put on those keys.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
You can use the installer disk on as many computers as you like. You can install Pro tools onas many machines as you like. The actual license is on the iLok. You can use the iLok on any computer with PT 10 installed. If you want an Ilok for each machine so you can use them independently your going to need two more licenses to put on those keys.
So if we get 2 more iloks with 2 more licences we can do it? if thats what you mean.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 PM

does an Ilok come with the licence on it? my friend is the one who got the first one.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
So if we get 2 more iloks with 2 more licences we can do it? if thats what you mean.
Yes. You can buy used licenses to save some dough. You can register the iLoks to the same iLok account or create two new ones.

You can only have one particular license on a iLok at a time meaning you can can have PT 10, PT 9, PT 8HD, PT 7.4 HD etc but you can't have PT-10, PT 10, PT 9. You can't have a duplicate license on the same Key.

Hopefully this is helping some. I'm trying to explain some of the finer points that people ask. Not confuse things more

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
does an Ilok come with the licence on it? my friend is the one who got the first one.
It can. Some times they pack a pre authorized iLok in the box with the installer disk and registration codes. Some times you get a package with a authorization card that you need to punch in and register here with Avid. Who then sends the appropriate asset to your iLok account which you can then download to your key. Please register any software purchases since you may be entitled to some additional benefits.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 PM

Im new to the pro tools world so any help is a blessing. Do you know how much it coast for an ilok with the registration on it?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Im new to the pro tools world so any help is a blessing. Do you know how much it coast for an ilok with the registration on it?
An iLok runs about 35-40.00 last I checked. The asset or authorization is what you are actually paying for when you buy Pro Tools. I'm not sure what the current retail is for Pro Tools 10 is. You can find a used asset and have it transferred to your iLok account.

In many ways iLok is great. It gives software developers a way to protect their product. It's portable and you can take it with you. Unlike traditional codes that have a limited number of activations. The licenses can be traded and moved and have some resale value etc. The single biggest drawback is that the iLok is the key and if you lose it you lose the licenses. There's no way of stopping anyone that finds from using it if they can figure out what it will enable. So you want to guard it with your life. Lose the key and your auths and you lose your right to run the software. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks but its not something you want to lose.

A iLok is a physical device that holds a abstract concept which is a software license.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 PM

Oh okay, I thought just buying an ilok and installing pro tools was all i had to do. I didnt know i need to buy an authorization with the ilok
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Oh okay, I thought just buying an ilok and installing pro tools was all i had to do. I didnt know i need to buy an authorization with the ilok
Yup. It's done that way so people don't pirate the software. Or pass it around for free to their 'friends and coworkers'.

QAPLA!