Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Default Lion questions

Hi, I have a macbook pro with OSX 10.7.1 lion and I need to get pro tools as Im studying and have to use it.
I see that lion is now supported but is still beta but I have a few questions Im hoping someone may be able to answer first. Im basically a poor student and I do not want to waste my hard earned money on software and interfaces that do not work correctly with my system.

Do I buy version 9 from the shop or do I download?

Anything before 9.0.5 does not work with lion but isn't what I buy from the shop 9? Do I need to and will I be able to install this incompatible version and then update to 9.0.5 or can I buy 9.0.5 from somewhere?

Are the updates free?

Once it is no longer Beta will I have to pay for the new version?

Is the student version limited in any way? Number of installs etc?

Looking at the website I see there are also many different pro tools 9 products including LE, M power, HD, cross grade etc etc. Which one do I need to buy?? Talk about confusing.

On top of all this confusion I also have to try and find out about drivers for interfaces. I am looking at getting an RME fireface. Do I need a driver for that?

These are my tech details

Macbook pro
early 2011
250Gb SSD
2.2 GHz intel core i7
8gb 1333 Mhz DDr3
Intel HD graphics 3000 512mb
Osx Lion 10.7.1

Thanks for any help
Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Lion questions

If you buy the download now, I believe 9.0.5 is what will show up in your account.
I have installed it and it seems to run fine on 10.7.1 here. The only snag I ran into after installing, was that Pro Tools closed while starting up the first time. After trying again a couple times, it worked just fine.

Since my audio interface (Apogee Duet) does not yet have a driver released, I am still doing my work mainly on the Snow Leo partition (actually a second drive). This should be taken care of within the next week or so if Apogee is on schedule (their site says the driver will be released in August).

So... you should be fine, as long as you make sure you have a audio interface that is ready for Lion, (or if you can get by with the built-in audio for now).
Also, check to make sure your 3rd party plug-ins, if you use any, are compatible with Lion + PT 9.0.5.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 PM

If you purchased a student copy of PT9, correct me somebody if I'm wrong, but I believe you get 4 years of free upgrades to get you through your college years.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra View Post
If you buy the download now, I believe 9.0.5 is what will show up in your account.
I have installed it and it seems to run fine on 10.7.1 here. The only snag I ran into after installing, was that Pro Tools closed while starting up the first time. After trying again a couple times, it worked just fine.

Since my audio interface (Apogee Duet) does not yet have a driver released, I am still doing my work mainly on the Snow Leo partition (actually a second drive). This should be taken care of within the next week or so if Apogee is on schedule (their site says the driver will be released in August).

So... you should be fine, as long as you make sure you have a audio interface that is ready for Lion, (or if you can get by with the built-in audio for now).
Also, check to make sure your 3rd party plug-ins, if you use any, are compatible with Lion + PT 9.0.5.
Hi thanks for the help. What do you mean by 'show up in my account' ?
Where exactly do I download the student version of 9.0.5? What about this ilock thing? Dont i need one of those? Could you possibly post a link as I cant seem to find any download link. In fact the entire avid website is shambolic, if it was possibleI would smash it Thanks