Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-20-2004, 05:41 PM

Default About to give up!

I've been having trouble with my 002R pretty much since I got it. And with every update I've been looking forward for a break, but it seems things only been getting worse...

There's random noise comming from my speakers, with the 6.7 upgrade and the firmware update that came with that, there's a consistent humm in the speakers, even when the 002R is turned off. when I unplug the firewire cable it stops. Tried a shorter cable, the noise still there, tried supplying the power from different jacks, still there.

It's as if I can hear the computer working, through the speakers, when I turn on the core audio driver the noise gets unbeareable. Tried everything, different buffers etc. nothing seems to help.

With my old setup, MOTU 828, Logic 4.x and OS9, the system was rock solid, I was able to focus on making music, ever since I got the 002R my music-making-life has perished.

anyone else had this experience?
What did you do to get it to work?
Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?

Please help!!!
Thanx...

my current setup:
---------------------
PowerMac G4 800Mhz, 1.25GB RAM, OS 10.3.7
Pro Tools 6.7 Digi 002 Rack, Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB,
120GB 7200RPM audio, 40GB 7200RPM system.
2 x Apple Studio Displays 17"
Old 12-20-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Re: About to give up!

i don't really have any suggestions since i do not have the same problem, but if you are still under warranty i would talk to digidesign about shipping you a new 002.
sounds like the cable might have some fault with it.

hope all works out for you.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:48 PM

Quote:
my current setup:
---------------------
PowerMac G4 800Mhz, OS 10.3.7

Neither your computer nor system software are supported for the 002/002r. It's going to be tough getting Digi to help you out unless you're using supported equipment. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:29 PM

I also have a G4 PowerMac 800. I'm sorry about your 002R, but I still have an 001, on this computer, with OS9, and PT 5.2.1 (32 tracks) this is still the most stable configuration, IMO. It seems like you either need a newer computer, or go back in time, like me, get an 001, and record 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, with nary a glitch...
Old 12-21-2004, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
my current setup:
---------------------
PowerMac G4 800Mhz, OS 10.3.7

Neither your computer nor system software are supported for the 002/002r. It's going to be tough getting Digi to help you out unless you're using supported equipment. Sorry for the bad news.
The thing is that it hasn't been working with any of the previous versions either, and those where supported with my setup...
I can only state that my experience is that the 002R and especially the core audio driver is not working properly.

It feels as if Digidesign, and many other manufacturers for that reason, feels such a strong need to have the latest products out on the market that they're willing to sell products that are not fully developed!

Gonna' try to go back to a few differnt OS-versions and Protools versions, and see if the firmware update can have any possitive effect on the matter...

But it feels heavy!!!

Anybody wants to buy a piece of crap audio interface?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:58 AM

I remember a post a while ago about the same issue!Some said they replaced the firewire cable & that fixed the problem!
Old 12-21-2004, 09:14 AM

I've tried four different firewire cables, with differnt lengths... no luck!

trying to find some other post on the matter, have not found them yet...
Old 12-21-2004, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Anybody wants to buy a piece of crap audio interface?

Yes, were in sweden do you live?

Best Regards Tubz

(t_fonk@hotmail.com)
Old 12-21-2004, 05:10 PM

sounds like u have a broken computer or broken 002R or some illigal software.... i thinks its funny that u think digi puts out gear that doesnt work... like millions of people buy and make music with equipment that doesnt work.every digi sytem i ever owned to this day have always worked great better than great. but it never fails i go down the street to the other studios in my neighboorhood and its a 50/50 chance. i think PEOPLE should learn to use,operate, and maintain their software and gear. Its not digis fault that everyone wants to make their own rules. u got people doing god knows what to their sytems and then WHINE on the message board that digi makes unsupported and non functioning equipment. Pro Tools is a sensitive environment u have to play by the rules.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:49 AM

Quote:
sounds like u have a broken computer or broken 002R or some illigal software.... i thinks its funny that u think digi puts out gear that doesnt work... like millions of people buy and make music with equipment that doesnt work.every digi sytem i ever owned to this day have always worked great better than great. but it never fails i go down the street to the other studios in my neighboorhood and its a 50/50 chance. i think PEOPLE should learn to use,operate, and maintain their software and gear. Its not digis fault that everyone wants to make their own rules. u got people doing god knows what to their sytems and then WHINE on the message board that digi makes unsupported and non functioning equipment. Pro Tools is a sensitive environment u have to play by the rules.
listen up nerd513, I've been on macintosh seince the early -90's, and I take great care of my system. In fact I used to think like you, that it's just people who doesn't know their setup (though I'm sure there's a bunch of those here), untill it happend to me personaly... I know how to keep a top trim system, that I can garantee!

My 002R is simply not working properly, and you suggest I should blame myself for that!?!?

No, I'm not whining on this message board, I've played by Digi's sensitive enviroment rules, and when that dosen't work one tends to bend those rules... (try different OS, LE-versions etc.)

And FYI, NO, I'm not using illigal software!

thanx for the "help"