Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-15-2004, 06:22 AM

Default Question about recording vocals...

Here's what I want to do: I want to set up the mic track to record the vocalist from the booth, and I want to find the easiest way to set up a talk mic to communicate with the vocalist during the session. Is there any easy way to do this? On my old recorder I could mute the talk mic channel from recording, but it would still be audioable to the vocalist. The only way I've been able to do that in pro tools is to arm the talk mic track to record, and then to disarm it right before I record. I hope there is a better way than this. Basically I want a hassle free way to be able to use a talk mic and record the vocalist without having to do a bunch of toggling. Is this easily done in pro tools? Thank you for reading.

Hare Krsna.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Question about recording vocals...

instead of using an audio track for the Talk Back, use an AUX instead, and set the input for the TB mic. I also add a gate on the AUX insert and set it so that it only pics up when i speak.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I also add a gate on the AUX insert and set it so that it only pics up when i speak.
Not a half-bad idea, but it's also not a half-good idea...that is, if you're using monitors for playback rather than headphones in the control room. Because during playback, the sound in your room will open the gate anyhow, which will cause the talent to hear playback through both their headphones and your talkback mic.

I've got my cue system setup as such:
I've put a little Yamaha MG10/2 mixer in the iso booth and I send a mult of the talent's mic (i.e. no latency), a PT headphone mix specifically for them (built with Aux sends), and my talkback mic arrives on a different channel so they can control all of it separately. I've also got an effects box on one of the Yamaha's aux sends, so they can dial up their own reverb if they want it.

I set up the talkback mic like this:
It's a cheapo MXL991 plugged into input 4 on my 002r. I bring it up on an Aux input in PT and only send it out to the talkback mic channel in the booth - that way I don't get any of it in my monitors, but I can still record it in PT for slates, cues, notes, etc. Instead of a gate, I put a limiter on it and use the external key to have the talkback mic channel automatically shutdown during playback. If there's not enough steady program material on any given track to completely shutdown the talkback input during playck, I'll create a track that just has a steady tone on it and key off that.

Takes a little bit o' setting up, but it's worth it.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 AM

This is an easy way...On each channel send the mix to your main O/P (1&2) as usual, then Apple/Command click the same O/P on each channel again to send the same mix to an alternate output(eg 3&4), set up your talkback mic on a Aux track & set its O/P to the alternate 3&4 O/P!

Bearing in mind you can choose what you want to go to the headphones, but essentially they are recieving the same mix as yourself, try not to muck with the faders while tracking as it will affect their cans!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:02 AM

yeah that would be a problem.. but in my case i use a dynamic mic and small 4inch speakers for monitoring when recording so it doesnt really affect it.. but you raised a good point.