Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-20-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Is Digidesign Smug?

I know!!
Old 01-20-2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I've heard a lot of complaints about Digidesign. Arrogance, software that requires tons of patches, stuff just not working. I finally went and bought a digi 001 system, and I must say this is the FIRST application I've ever bought that won't even launch. Oh yea, I followed the manuals exactly. And my computer runs perfectly with demanding programs like Final Cut Pro and Photoshop. Nice product Digi!
I, too, bought a used 001. I took it out of the box, installed ProTools, and everything came right up. I was recording in 10 mins. My mac is a 466 MHz G4 "digital audio".

I have read elsewhere on this forum about compatability probs with some older Macs, specifically the "mirror door" designs. Maybe that is what you are running into. If so, it's a Mac issue, not Digidesign.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 01-20-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
And wasting time talking to tech support is exactly what I'm talking about.
I've always felt it was very productive time.
The thing you have to realize about PT is that it is written to go around the OS. Not like Apple Apps that are written for the OS. That is why there are so many compato issues. I thought you may have figured out when I gave the link that for your OS you would need PT 5.1 and that you are running on a host system that may not be qualified.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:33 PM

1st Generation MDD powermacs had issues with the motherboard that made them incompatible with the 001. If you're getting kernel panics or the whole machine is freezing you probably have a rev.A motherboard and should consider going to an apple repair center if you have one near you to get a new one. I doubt it'll be covered by any warranty though anymore, it was a while ago that those came out, and since it only affected 001's specifically most people didn't need the rev.b board, so there's lots of used ones floating around out there that may cause problems.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Avid

Hi,

Some Digi 001 users have experienced a system hang on startup with early models of these CPUs. If you have experienced this problem with a Digi 001 when connected to one of the "mirrored door" G4s, you should contact AppleCare at 1 800 APL-CARE (within the U.S.). For those customers outside of the US, there should be an AppleCare card included in your Apple product packaging which has the local AppleCare phone number. When contacting AppleCare, customers should refer to the "Digidesign Digi 001 audio system". This sounds like what you are experiencing. You can find this information here . I hope this helps,
Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 01-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Other posts on this thread are correct, Pro Tools LE 5.0 was never tested on Mac OS 9.2

If you have the single processor 1.25 GHZ MDD model, then it will boot in OS 9:
http://everymac.com/systems/apple/po..._1.25_mdd.html

If it is the dual model, it will not boot in OS 9, and will only run OS 9 Classic in OS X. Classic will not work with any version of Pro Tools.

Since you definitely have Mac OS X with either version of the 1.25 GHz MDD, then you would probably be better off purchasing the upgrade to Pro Tools LE 6.4

The specially priced ($35 USD) upgrade to Pro Tools LE 6.4 for Digi 001 owners is only available on the DigiStore:
http://store.digidesign.com

Look under Pro Tools Legacy Upgrades on the US store, listed on the left side. Or under Pro Tools Upgrades on the European stores:
Pro Tools® LE 6.4 Software Upgrade for Digi 001 Users (Mac OS X)

To complete your order, you will need your Digi 001 hardware Serial Number which can be found on the back or bottom of your 001 breakout box (the audio interface part, not the PCI card).

Your Digi 001 does not have to be registered, and you do not need to have any previous installation of Pro Tools to use the full installers. You will be able to download after you order, and you will also automatically be sent the Pro Tools LE 6.4 CD.

Pro Tools LE 6.4 is the last version that will work with the Digi 001. For compatibility information, please see the Digi 001 links in the Compatibility Documents section in Support:
http://www.digidesign.com/compato