Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-18-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Re: to BWF or not to BWF - that is the question

Yes, I've seen 5.1 do that too! I believe there is a bug in 5.1 which does not handle the file renaming properly. Since extensions are added to the filenames, and the names may contain wav-illegal characters, some renaming takes place during a Save Session Copy in.

I have not experienced the bug with 5.3, only with 5.1 (all variations). I have also been trying to remember to turn on mac/pc enforcement from the get go, which may be one reason I've had less trouble with 5.3 I do not require the editors working here to use it, but I always import their tracks into a final session, to take care of any possible mixed file formats and naming problems. I should have mentioned that in my previous post.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:59 AM

Quote:
. I tried to do a finder copy of the source session to another disk and do the export from there, but still BWF wouldn't work. Any ideas ?
If this is of some help, I just tried a very complex session in Aiff format/16bits/PT6.2.3/PC compatibility enforced and it converted to BWF without any noticeable problems.

cheers

®®
Old 03-15-2004, 02:07 AM

Quote:
I still have the feeling that SDII is the most compatible PT format.

But my friend use Windows XP, and AVID Xpress DV. So... no SDII !!!!!
But I need OMF in sd II 'cause digitranslator 2 is buggy. So I want to use OMF TOOL, but this free piece of software use only SD II.
And now... ???

Simone Corelli
Old 03-15-2004, 11:45 AM

What about recovering files that are accidently deleted etc? I know that most data recovery methods have a tough time finding SDII files. Are AIFF and WAV easier to deal with in this repect?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:43 PM

Hi im from the LE camp & was trying to find info on bouncing BWF files with Meta-Data(BEXT)

In 'Get Info...' under the File menu, is this where my BEXT TXT can go!?!

Also can anyone point me towards a Chunk viewer for the Mac (Ive come across a free one at
http://www.sr.se/utveckling/tu/bwf/ but its for windows only)

I would be grateful for any help!
Old 12-14-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Not one but many

Hello:

>Is the post-community adopting broadcast wave now?
>Are you all using .wav or .bwf files these days?
>If not, why?

The post community will always have to deal with a variety of formats. While it would be nice to have one audio file type, in reality post deals with a variety of formats. Too many systems to deal with...but no big deal. Audio file types aren't that much of a problem, it's easy to change a pool to conform to one audio file type, and do it quickly.

Broadcast Wave Format usually ends in *.wav....at least that is what I see.

I have never seen *.bwf

When you slice and dice wave files in your project move them around...etc... you may not be using the time stamp, so it wouldnt make a difference if it was Microsoft WAVE .wav or BWF .wav. Keeping the pool in the same format ie. BWF or SDII is the ideal thing.

AIFF seems to be popular among picture editors, so that will still be kicking around. SDII has just become pure habit for many people, and it's fine in the MAC world. SDII is required for working in a post facility using digital dubbers at the theatre and Pro Tools MAC in editorial.

If it ever becomes a problem just do a SAVE SESSION COPY IN, and change the file type.

For delivery: Ask people what they need.

The nice thing about BWF is it can easily be moved between PC and MAC.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Not one but many

Sorri im confused..You said you havnt seen BWF but its in the options when creating a session, its mostly used for Archiving!Also when bouncing a file to disk, it is its relative position on the grid that is the Timestamp(but thats only for moving the file from one programme to another)

Heres as much info as i know!!!

[/QUOTE] A BWF file is really just a small customisation of a WAV file. WAVs (and =BWFs) are examples of "RIFF" files which allow for a number of data ="chunks" inside the file alongside the regular "audio" sample data.
A BWF (generally ) has a .WAV extension, and WAV players should ignore =any custom data chunks and play it as if it were a normal WAV.
The "metadata" chunk inside a BWF is called the "bext" chunk. So a BWF is a WAV file that's got the extra bext chunk (and no other difference)
There can another plain text field called "originator reference", but in =recent years most BWF implementers have reserved this field to be used =for a "Unique ID" - a random number that's used to distinguish one file =from another. The UID scheme is a EBU recommendation that came along a =littlie while after the BWF spec was drawn up, so there are some =implementations that allow it to be used for free text.You might want to consider =the use of this in any archiving scheme as some applications in the =future will use it as a unique ID, and if you put other data in there, =it may confuse a reading application (i.e. if two distinct files have =the same metadata in this field, a BWF may confuse them). [QUOTE]

There's a Swedish Broadcast site http://www.sr.se/utveckling/tu/bwf/ =which has some links to the spec. Also an invaluable and free BWF reader =called CHUNK.EXE which allows you to look at the bext data.(Im looking for a Mac version of a CHUNK viewer so i can view the BEXT outside of Protools)

Im sorry but i have to reiterate my question - In 'Get Info...' under the File menu, is this where my BEXT TXT can go!?!

Thanks for any help:)
Old 12-15-2004, 04:17 AM

the BEXT chuck can not be seen in the info window. you will need the digibase (not included in LE I guess) to view additional BWAV info.

BTW the extension .bwf is often used by non linear laocation recorders like the Deva II.

Unfortunately Digi doesn´t offer much info on metadata in the Digibase. This really is a shame because every modern avid has all the info about a sound file stored in it´s metadata. every aiff or BWAV that comes from an avid contains info about tape-number, source tc etc. etc. this info even survives an OMF transfer but unfortunately PT isn´t able to show the info.

This is something they shold really change.

frank.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:51 AM

Quote:
the BEXT chuck can not be seen in the info window. you will need the digibase (not included in LE I guess) to view additional BWAV info.
What info window are you referring to, File menu-Get Info???
???(sorri ive asked this question soo many times & still havnt got a direct answer)

Even if i cant look at it on a Mac i can still use the free chunk viewer i found for Windows!!!
Im NOT trying to view the BEXT within protools, im archiving & want to bounce stereo BWF's with metadata! & for my own sake be able to view the metadata afterwards so i know what im doing is right

[/QUOTE]BTW the extension .bwf is often used by non linear laocation recorders like the Deva II..

[/QUOTE]

BWF can be used for a number of purposes i know,im just refering to what it is... but thanks:)
I appreciate your help-
Aido
Old 12-15-2004, 05:05 AM

here´s chunk reader:

http://www.metaflow.info/ixml/iXML.app.hqx

it´s specialized on the new iXML format but I think it shows the regular stuff too (not sure)

and yes I was talking about the info window (apple-I) in the finder.

frank.