Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-29-2004, 08:44 AM

Default SM PR8 MKII Vs Behringer ADA-8

I know that by saving more money, i can look towards better products from the likes of Focusrite & Presonus!
But for the mo im just askin has anyone used the SM Pro PR8 & would you think it would be worth spending the xtra 100 (for the Adat option) on it over the Behringer (I know how you love Behringer)

Any help is appreciated:)
Old 11-29-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Re: SM PR8 MKII Vs Behringer ADA-8

Quote:
I know that by saving more money, i can look towards better products from the likes of Focusrite & Presonus!
But for the mo im just askin has anyone used the SM Pro PR8 & would you think it would be worth spending the xtra 100 (for the Adat option) on it over the Behringer (I know how you love Behringer)

Any help is appreciated:)
From what I can tell, the PR8 only has A/D (no D/A), so you'd still only have 8 channels out. The Behringer box is bi-directional.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 11-29-2004, 01:04 PM

well I've heard both and they both sound the same to me, behringer is a little cheaper and I think you get a little more, so if it's all you can get I'd recomend behringer. I don't use it personally(have Presonus pre which is in a different ballpark sound wise) but have I have a couple friends who use these two models. I couldn't tell the difference between the behringer/SM Pro PR8, and they do the job for home studio use, sound is a little thin, but you still get a much better quality than was ever possible with older 4/8 track home studios of the past. Hope that helps.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:37 PM

Quote:
From what I can tell, the PR8 only has A/D (no D/A), so you'd still only have 8 channels out. The Behringer box is bi-directional.
Theres a new model (PR8MKII) WITH Adat option, phase reverse, +4 or -10 for O/P- (which would be handy if all could be used , you could monitor before PT if you had any issues with latency ), its got inserts & the phantom power is selectable on individual channels, (unlike the Behringer which applys it across all pres & hasnt got most of these features)
There was a post on another forum based about the PR8MKII stating that there is an increase in noise when applying phantom pwr across each of the pres, which could have somthing to do with the Adat card being close to the power supply!?
There might be no significant difference between them both when it comes to the A/D converters!
I could understand that the Preson pre Vs either of the mentioned units, would be no competition sonically comparing the Pre's due to design components,build quality or for pure Loudness-Factor!But what about the AD converters on any unit?Do they all use a standard set of Algorithims??Is it proven (not counting higher sample rates above 96K because im talkin about 8 tracks with a 002) that any unit for this task has better AD converters than the rest regardless of what Mic Pre is used ?

Thanks for your advice Sky, i am only lookin at this in the short term!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:09 PM

If you look on musicians friend's review section for the SMPro products, you'll see terrible reviews. Many people talked about some of the pres not working at all. I thought those pre amps looked like a good deal, but I read VERY few good things and a ton of bad things. At least with the Behringer you know it will work especially since so many people are using them. While it may not be the best, at least it will work. I am in the same boat as you though, I am getting an 002r and looking for a low price 8channel pre without forking over the cash for a pro sonus.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:23 AM

Thanks for your reply!I havnt seen many reviews of the newer product, but your right when you say there has been a ton of bad reviews in general!
Im still gona hold out, but a friend O'mine has settled on the Behringer (hes gona use it with one of those new EMU card)& needs the I/O!
Mackie have the Onyx coming out, in case you havnt seen that!It less $$$ than the presonus, & looks promising:)
Old 12-02-2004, 07:45 AM

Funny how you hear and read different things from different sources....
Even more reason to trust your own ears and experiences.

I'm currently using an SM PR8 MKII, and I'm very happy with it. It came
loaded with the best set of features for the money, although I kinda wished
the ADAT card was built in, but I just ordered it.

I know there are better units out there, and you can absolutely get better
quality for more money, but I'm happy with it (and everything works)

Your best bet is to get your purchases from sources where you can return or
replace the unit after evaluating. Trust your own ears.....

Hope this helps,
Dave
infest the planet.

PB al 12" G4
750 MB ram
OSX 10.3.1
Digi 002R
PTLE 6.2.2
Old 12-02-2004, 08:12 AM

[QUOTE]
Funny how you hear and read different things from different sources....
Even more reason to trust your own ears and experiences.Your best bet is to get your purchases from sources where you can return or
replace the unit after evaluating. Trust your own ears.....[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
I kinda wished the ADAT card was built in, but I just ordered it.[QUOTE]

Quote:
Hope this helps,
Dave
Your right about the first comment, but im from Ireland & its just not possible to A/B stuff over here!!Ive heard the behringer & Presonus through friends only- I wasnt mad on either of them!Ive heard some of the platinum Focusrite range a long time ago, didnt like it so i always thought the Octo-Pre was a definate no go area! - - - What to do!?!?

Did you get the Adat card at all??Are the line/mic outs disabled when using the Optical??(happens on the Behringer)Do you have any issues with noise as a result in using the phantom power?

It did help & thanks:)
Old 12-02-2004, 08:16 AM

Y'all are still stacking them up against each other as if they were equivalent units, but as I said, it looks to me like the PR8 is unidirectional (inputs only), where the Behringer is both A/D and D/A. If that's accurate (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it makes them very different, though I guess if one does all mixing internally to PT it wouldn't make a diff.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 12-02-2004, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Y'all are still stacking them up against each other as if they were equivalent units, but as I said, it looks to me like the PR8 is unidirectional (inputs only), where the Behringer is both A/D and D/A. If that's accurate (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it makes them very different, though I guess if one does all mixing internally to PT it wouldn't make a diff.
I understand what you mean, but why would i want to listen to the behringer after PT??What usefull service does the optical-IN provide=Nil for me!!
With The MKII you can monitor before PT, which is handy, so both have somthing that the other hasnt!