Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Default PT 12.8.3 won't launch. Hung up on DigiRewire

I just installed 12.8.3 but can't get it to open. Hangs up on DigiRewire. I deleted the Propellerhead folder in Library-Application Support but PT still won't launch. Solutions? Thanks!

MP
Old 12-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Default Re: PT 12.8.3 won't launch. Hung up on DigiRewire

Same here the first time. I restated the computer once more and then it started normally
ASUS X99-E, Intel Core i7-6850K, Noctua NH-U9S, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133MHz 16GB, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe SSD (System), Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD (Data), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD (Sample), WD Desktop Black 1TB 3.5" (Audio), Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060, Corsair RM750x 750W, Samsung 34" LED Curved, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Lynx AES16e, Aurora 16, Cakewalk by BandLab, Pro Tools 2021
Old 12-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Try trashing prefs? Opening a new empty session?

Worse case delete the rewire plugin, its a system plugin so normally hidden, at least on Mac. Look for files named "rewire". I don't have a Windows Pro Tool system handy to look at.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:45 PM

For super clean installs, I usually do a complete uninstall first, including preferences, then run CCleaner in the registry, then install Pro Tools.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Restart didn't fix. Trashed Prefs and I got past DigiRewire but now it's hung up on Signal Generator!
Old 12-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsong View Post
Restart didn't fix. Trashed Prefs and I got past DigiRewire but now it's hung up on Signal Generator!
Still problems... move all plugins file out of the plugin folder, trash prefs again (being careful to follow all instructions), restart. That not fix it try uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:40 PM

I can't seem to find the plugin folder. Also - does PT have an uninstaller? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:00 PM

Similar here, pig of a thing. Clean install etc.
In this case, is having immense problems in launching the video engine (something which I need). Hanging every time.

UPDATE:

A half a day later ...
Well overdue that Avid got its act together re. installers (and Win 10 for that matter); this has been going on for a while now and certainly in relation to ALL of the 12.8HD installers.

Clean install, sure (and goes well beyond the simple CC Cleaner /registry advice); one has to dig much deeper than this with power-uninstall, then manual deletion of any Avid /Pro Tools items in various directories (App data, Program data etc). Next, move ALL of the plugs out of the folder. BTW, Trasher no longer works here.
OK, then confirmed very clean uninstall & reboot etc.

Install PT, then mess about with setting the correct audio drivers; sometime won't find these; ditto launching video engine can fail.
Several PT re-starts later: start adding 3rd party plugs in small batches and re-boot Pro tools, eg: UAD, Melda, Izotope, Sound Toys, Sonnox etc.
Each time there are larger numbers of plugs to scan, PT can generate erroneous error messages, especially in relation to UAD: says they are not 64bit and wants to re-locate them to the used plug in folder. Say no.... re-start PT again and again.

Somewhere about this time PT loses the audio drivers and starts saying the audio buffer sizes are incorrect then shuts down. This then requires the boot-N option to re-find and re-set audio IO. This can happen several times in the installation process.

Eventually after backing and forthing will all this rubbish, we finally have an operating install. Really? Please ... at this price point for a premium product is completely unacceptable. As others note here, this does not occur with pretty much every other DAW installer including Nuendo, Studio One, DP9.5, Reaper, Cubase, etc.

Finally, about time that Win PT had a UI that no longer looks like Win7? Surely? And floating edit/mix windows /screen sets for god's sake in 2017/18.
MacPro 7,1 Big Sur 11.2. 16 core, 2TB, 192GB, Vega II 32GB. OWC Thunderbay 6, RME UFX+, UAD-2 quad PCIe, Decklink MiniMon 4k, Sonnet M.2 4x4. Dell U3419W & BenQ SW2700PT. FaderPort 16, Komplete Kontrol S61, Nuendo, Wavelab, Pro Tools Ultimate, Logic, Ableton Live. FinalCutPro, Resolve Studio.

Last edited by profdraper; 12-20-2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: update to install experience
Old 12-19-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsong View Post
I can't seem to find the plugin folder. Also - does PT have an uninstaller? Thanks!
And you are running on... mac?

/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins. Move everything there anywhere else, trash prefs and start Pro Tools.

Google would have given you this answer without needing to wait.

Aside: It's frustrating that the information under the "help us help you" link up the top of each DUC web page is so woefully out of date, including where to find basic stuff like plugins. I just pinged jeffro about that.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Yep. On a mac. Did that Google thing 1st! There is no "Audio/Plug-Ins" folder in my /Library/Application Support/Avid/. There are two folders there - AppManager and Pro Tools. There is no folder labeled Audio or Plug-Ins