Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Default External Keyboards unreliable on MacOS with 2019.5

Hey all,

I had a new issue creep up last week. I'm on a brand new, maxed out MBP running PT 2019.5 on Mojave. I was using my old USB Apple Keyboard with no issues for the first few weeks after launch with no issues whatsoever. About 6 days ago it started deteriorating dramatically and I had to mash a key 6-7 times for it to work. I assumed it was my keyboard so I bought the new Bluetooth Apple Magic Keyboard, and the issue still remains. It's not specific keys, it happens with any and all of them, and it's only on external keyboards, not the one attached to the laptop.

I haven't changed anything in order for this to happen, and I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issues, or if there's any solutions out there. I'm a podcast editor and it's dramatically slowing down my workflow.

FWIW, I'm not missing any keystrokes on any other programs, and I was running a key caster to see if the computer was even registering the keystrokes. The computer is, ProTools isn't.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 06-13-2019, 03:02 PM

Default Re: External Keyboards unreliable on MacOS with 2019.5

I use my Apple Magic Mouse and keyboard always when running PT so I can access the keypad shortcuts. Haven't had any issues for nearly 12 month I've started using them.... I think I've only needed to charge them 3 times from memory. works flawlessly. I'm wondering now that you have tried both types that the maybe something going on at the puter end.

the only thing I had to get used to is the mouse is a touch pad style that tracks where you finger is and can sometimes interpret unintended motions. but I have seem to have gotten used to that.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-13-2019, 04:57 PM

I've been struggling a bit lately with my home setup, nothing to do w/PT specifically, and erratic scrolling and swiping. I thought it was cpu or gpu related. Turns out it was my bluetooth devices getting in eachothers way. Three mice and two keyboards. I turned off two of the mice and the problem disappeared. Now I'm in the process of rearranging them, and exchanging the oldest for a new to get them all to cooperate again.

I don't know if that info is of any value to you, I just thought I'd mention it.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:18 AM

Thanks man. The only bluetooth input device I have is the magic keyboard, and it messes up whether it's on BT or plugged in via USB. What's weird though is I restarted my computer the other day, changed my playback engine then changed it back, and everything worked flawlessly for 4 days, then it all came crumpling down again. But again, ONLY in ProTools. Super weird. I bought another Magic Keyboard to see if it's somehow just this one, but the fact that it's only in PT makes me think they device is fine....
Old 06-19-2019, 02:12 PM

Looking at the prefered optimisations listed on Avid website.... I think this one has been standard through all versions...

Maybe you have already played with these.... a straight hard wired keyboard might be worth giving a try....

Turn off Wi-Fi
If your computer is equipped with Bluetooth wireless and/or Wi-Fi, these may need to be disabled for Pro Tools to work correctly. In addition to freeing up system resources, disabling these can help resolve DAE errors -6085, -6086 and -6101.

Open System Preferences.
Click 'Network'.
On the left hand sidebar, click on Wi-Fi.
Click on the button that says Turn Wi-Fi Off.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-22-2019, 06:24 AM

I am having the same issue with my hard-wired keyboard since 2019.5.1. Every key has to be hit hard, and several times now. It has even effected my mouse clicks. I have to hit the space bar 2 or 3 times to get the session to roll. It has become quite annoying.