Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-05-2014, 07:30 AM

Default track metering does not show panning

Hi!
when you pan a stereo track, the meters of this track do not show it. And it happens when i set metering post fader. The only logical cause can only be that panning is post metering in PT? Or do i miss something?
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 AM

Default Re: track metering does not show panning

Aaaah, got it! opening the floating fader window of a track and expanding it opens additional meters of the output bus of the track!
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 AM

Can you screenshot it? I can't recall offhand what additional meters you have.

EDIT: nevermind, I see what you mean. The output metering for the track's destination.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg metering.JPG (27.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by mesaone; 05-05-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:12 PM

yes, exactly!
but you see the whole summed bus on the right meters, not only the part of the track routed and panned to it!
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 05-05-2014, 02:22 PM

okay, I thought you meant that you had found a way to meter each track post-pan. That would be nice.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:39 AM

So i've been searching all day for a way to get post pan metering.. i was sure i was just missing something.. it turns out you can't? really?

This is frustrating.

What is it about daw devs that find an issue with post pan metering? I do not get it.. it's the same in S1.. and motu actually removed it in DP9.5, after years of it being post pan! Now it's pre pan, and they have advertised it as a feature!

So what am i missing? Am i that dumb for wanting post pan metering, so i can see the stereo interaction as far as volume level goes, on a per track basis?

I know the work around is to use a pan plugin.. but really Avid.. give me a break.. pro tools has proper panners unlike most daws and those that use balance pots.. and i want to be able to meter them..

PLEASE give us this simple option!

obviously there is a uses for pre pan metering, otherwise so many daw's wouldn't offer it, or in some cases such as Avid, make it mandatory.. but i have absolutely no need for pre pan metering..

anyone else with me?
Old 11-11-2017, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
So i've been searching all day for a way to get post pan metering.. i was sure i was just missing something.. it turns out you can't? really?

This is frustrating.

What is it about daw devs that find an issue with post pan metering? I do not get it.. it's the same in S1.. and motu actually removed it in DP9.5, after years of it being post pan! Now it's pre pan, and they have advertised it as a feature!

So what am i missing? Am i that dumb for wanting post pan metering, so i can see the stereo interaction as far as volume level goes, on a per track basis?

I know the work around is to use a pan plugin.. but really Avid.. give me a break.. pro tools has proper panners unlike most daws and those that use balance pots.. and i want to be able to meter them..

PLEASE give us this simple option!

obviously there is a uses for pre pan metering, otherwise so many daw's wouldn't offer it, or in some cases such as Avid, make it mandatory.. but i have absolutely no need for pre pan metering..

anyone else with me?
Why do you want a meter to show you what the Pan knob already is? That's the entire point of the knob, to adjust and show pan position.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Why do you want a meter to show you what the Pan knob already is? That's the entire point of the knob, to adjust and show pan position.
True that but let me play devil's advocate here. What if you have a track where before the pan knobs(s) there's a very imbalanced signal and you use the pans to change that? Other than listening or using another metering plugin you'll not see if you've accomplished what you want.

Been there/done that.

QAPLA!
Old 11-11-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
True that but let me play devil's advocate here. What if you have a track where before the pan knobs(s) there's a very imbalanced signal and you use the pans to change that? Other than listening or using another metering plugin you'll not see if you've accomplished what you want.

Been there/done that.
The industry standard Pre Fader metering (PT defaults to this as it should) that has existed in LFACs for decades negates this whole thread.

IMO, you shouldn't be using post fader metering, let alone post fader and pan metering.

The point of the meter is to allow proper gain staging of the track (pre fader but POST processing), the the physical fader and pan knob position show its contribution to the mix. This way, all requirements are satisfied in one shot. There's a reason it's been done this way for decades.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
The industry standard Pre Fader metering (PT defaults to this as it should) that has existed in LFACs for decades negates this whole thread.

IMO, you shouldn't be using post fader metering, let alone post fader and pan metering.

The point of the meter is to allow proper gain staging of the track (pre fader but POST processing), the the physical fader and pan knob position show its contribution to the mix. This way, all requirements are satisfied in one shot. There's a reason it's been done this way for decades.
Just because it's been done a certain way for decades doesn't necessarily make it right for everyone. You still don't know the exact 'contribution' as you call it unless another metering plugin is used. The ability to select pre or post fader metering as well as pan position would make things a lot simpler.

To open this up further: why shouldn't one use post fader metering, etc.? What's the reasoning behind that opinion? Not trying to pick a fight but trying to understand where you're coming from on this.

QAPLA!