Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-09-2014, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Installing PT on New MacBook Pro

Can I enter my MBox 2's serial number somewhere to confirm that it hasn't been involved in any kind of upgrade? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:26 AM

As far as I know there isnīt such an option.
Forgive me if Iīm wrong but I guess you only will see when you will try to get the upgrade
because you only will get the upgrade when you can provide a valid serial number of your MBox 2.

Others may chime in if Iīm missing something.

I definitely would recommend to contact Avid or Sweetwater support before buying the upgrade and
tell them about your situation and ask them what to do.

I personally would directly call Sweetwater and ask them per phone, tell them that you have bought this
used MBox 2 on Ebay once, that you have a serial number but you donīt know if it has been used for any
upgrades before...how to find out, what to do?

If you try to contact Avid via the support form this may take too much time until you could get any reply
whereas on the phone you directly can ask the guy for the right answers.

Ask them for the exact steps how to validate your MBox 2 serial number when purchasing the LE-to-PT11-
upgrade and how to do the whole procedure?

Iīm sure they can help you out with this.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/contact/
The phone number you find at the right top of the site, the support is open Mo-Fr 9am-6pm, Sat 10am-4pm.

If you prefer to ask Avid you can fill out this support contact form.
http://avid.force.com/Support/RegistrationCaseCreation

Wishing you the best of success,

VRW
Old 11-09-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post

I personally would directly call Sweetwater and ask them per phone, tell them that you have bought this
used MBox 2 on Ebay once, that you have a serial number but you donīt know if it has been used for any
upgrades before...how to find out, what to do?
I bought the MBox 2 brand new. Like I wrote earlier, I remember paying for a PT upgrade back when they were owned by DigiDesign, but I can't remember if it was based off hardware or a software license from the iLok. 7 LE to 7.3 LE if I remember correctly.

I'll try Sweetwater. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I bought the MBox 2 brand new. Like I wrote earlier, I remember paying for a PT upgrade back when they were owned by DigiDesign, but I can't remember if it was based off hardware or a software license from the iLok. 7 LE to 7.3 LE if I remember correctly.

I'll try Sweetwater. Thanks.
Oh thatīs definitely good news that you got it brand new!
Then there should be no problem actually because then there should be
no "prior owner" and you should be the first and original one!

And you donīt have to worry about anything happened prior to Pro Tools 9
because that was when they changed their licensing system from software
serial numbers to an iLok license for the software (prior to PT9 the green iLok
was only necessary for all the bundled plugins and VIs, not for the LE software
itself which still was licensed with an authorization code/serial number then).

Since Pro Tools 9 then the upgrades got hardware bound, so no problem with any
upgrade before Pro Tools 9. You should be safe.

Sweetwater is a good choice anyway.

The very best to you,

VRW
Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Oh thatīs definitely good news that you got it brand new!
Then there should be no problem actually because then there should be
no "prior owner" and you should be the first and original one!

And you donīt have to worry about anything happened prior to Pro Tools 9
because that was when they changed their licensing system from software
serial numbers to an iLok license for the software (prior to PT9 the green iLok
was only necessary for all the bundled plugins and VIs, not for the LE software
itself which still was licensed with an authorization code/serial number then).

Since Pro Tools 9 then the upgrades got hardware bound, so no problem with any
upgrade before Pro Tools 9. You should be safe.

Sweetwater is a good choice anyway.

The very best to you,

VRW
I've never seen the green iLok. I've had two and both of mine have been blue.

Also, have you guys had problems with the Intel Core i5 processors? In another thread I have on here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...5&goto=newpost
Everyone says to avoid it like the plague and go with the i7. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend so much on the computer portion of the DAW and have some money left for a quality interface.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:51 AM

Well, what can I say, I got mine with Pro Tools 7.0 and the 002R for the bundled plugins (Bombfactory, MoogerFooger etc.)
and I still have it (because I still have a lot usable Waves v8 licenses on it which I donīt wanna throw away) and, you know what?
Itīs green.

But Iīve seen on the web that there have been blue ones and even red ones of the iLok 1, but, seriously, who cares about the color?
I think you knew what I was talking about, didnīt you? Just have been trying to offer you useful information.

Anyway.
We all have tried to tell you the right stuff about the i7 Quad thing with Pro Tools 11 but you are of course free to buy any i5 and see
if it will work. You know, maybe you are one of the lucky ones who will not face problems with this combination? Everything is possible.
And finally itīs just up to you what to do. Itīs your decision, itīs your money.

I personally also have had problems with PT11 and my i5 2012 MBP on Mavericks (like many others out there) unlike with my i7 Quad
Core Mac Mini where there everything has been working flawlessly as it was supposed to but I definitely will not go any deeper into that
anymore now.

Wishing you good luck with the whole thing,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.10 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active,
Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.2.1, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:

But Iīve seen on the web that there have been blue ones and even red ones of the iLok 1, but, seriously, who cares about the color?
I think you knew what I was talking about, didnīt you? Just have been trying to offer you useful information.

Anyway.
We all have tried to tell you the right stuff about the i7 Quad thing with Pro Tools 11 but you are of course free to buy any i5 and see
if it will work. You know, maybe you are one of the lucky ones who will not face problems with this combination? Everything is possible.
And finally itīs just up to you what to do. Itīs your decision, itīs your money.
I appreciate all the help I've received and can't thank u all enough. I was just commenting on never having seen a non-blue iLok.

In regard to the i5, there ain't a chance in hell of me buying one.. it's just a shame, at it's price point, that causes so many issues.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:49 PM

McDSP had a batch of custom green iLoks at one time, for a promotion I believe

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-09-2014, 03:28 PM

Adam buy an external case that has a thunder bolt connection and install your old hard drive in it and u can use it in your new mac book that's what I do as of now.... or by a external that has a thunder bolt connection install your old os to it then install everything you want on it that will on run on your old os until u can upgrade everything
Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 AM

I purchased the ProTools Express with the Fast track Duo and UPSupport plan from Sweetwater. I am currently unable to install PT because I'm getting following: "An incompatible version of the OS was found. Pro Tools 10.3.4 requires Mac OS X version 10.7 or higher." I am currently on OS X Yosemitte 10.10.3. The installation process fails and closes out any assistance is very much welcomed