Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 AM

Question Random distortion

This has never happened before, I'm getting quite a lot of random digital distortion, just starts happening.

Never happened before, not even when I had pro tools 8, just happened 3 times.

I trashed the prefs before I opened this session... don't know if that could cause anything.

Closing pro tools and reopening fixes it but it seems to be coming back.

MacBook Pro 2.53Ghz 4gb ram
OSX 10.6.6
Mbox2 Mini
Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Random distortion

I've had that too in PT9. It's an odd thing and can come out of nowhere.

What I do is change my buffer size and it goes away. Then I can set it back again. I found that with the Duet I can't go below a buffer of 256 without this constantly happening.

Make sure you go through all the system optimizations.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM

I had that problem as well. It only seemed to happen on projects with a high track count. The problem for me ended up being that my Hard Drive was spinning to slowly. It was rated at 7200rpm but it was an older drive that eventually crashed. Once I replace it with a newer drive, the problem has yet to occur.

Also are you running your sessions from an external hard drive?? Splitting the work load between two drives can help a ton as well.

Or you can always switch to a Solid State system :)

Last edited by Rockfan.Records; 02-15-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Wrong name at the top
Old 02-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfan.Records View Post
I had that problem as well. It only seemed to happen on projects with a high track count. The problem for me ended up being that my Hard Drive was spinning to slowly. It was rated at 7200rpm but it was an older drive that eventually crashed. Once I replace it with a newer drive, the problem has yet to occur.

Also are you running your sessions from an external hard drive?? Splitting the work load between two drives can help a ton as well.

Or you can always switch to a Solid State system :)
It does have a high track count, but I've had sessions that have been bigger before.

I'm using a Lacie D2 Quadra, fairly new, less than a year, you've made me paranoid now that it's going to die lol.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPT8 View Post
Lacie D2 Quadra,
That drive keeps appearing here, and it is usually part of a system that is having problems, most of which sound drive related. I am sure that some are using it successfully, but..... ff