Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-18-2011, 06:29 AM

Default Computer Shut Down Screen when trying to load a session.

I have a session I recorded on a ProTools HD system while I was in school years ago. I'm trying to open it with my MacBook Pro 10.6.8 and ProFire 2626. Whats the best way to go about this? Every time I try to open it, ProTools 9 either errors and closes or I get the black screen saying I need to shut down my computer.

Right before it attempts to open the session it says that it was previously opened with a ProTools HD rig with 2DSP's, do i still want to continue to open with the ProFire 2626....Any help would be much appreciated..Thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Computer Shut Down Screen when trying to load a session.

First thing to try is; hold the SHIFT key while you try to open the session. You said its an older session and its likely that it includes some plugin that is crashing your newer rig. Holding the SHIFT key will disable all the plugins. If that allows the session to open, I would consider saving a session copy like that, and check the box for copy all audio files. Then run the copy and delete/replace the plugins, or enable them a row at a time, save>close>re-open until you can track down which plugin(s) needs to be replaced or updated

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM

^+1
Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately that did not help. As soon I click continue it fails and says:

This session was saved with the following playback engine: "ProToolsHD (1 DSP, 24 Voices)."
This playback engine is not available with the current hardware. Would you like to continue and use the current playback engine: ProFire 2626?

It said 2 DSP 48 voices before but I just tried to open the original session that has no edits or plug in's on it.

I'd post the report I got when I restarted but it's pretty long...

Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to get in to this session.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 AM

Try import session data in to a new session.
If this continues. try importing a few tracks or single-track until you find one with issue.
We all are assuming your rig works fine other than this particular session. (?)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Ok, so after some trail and error I remember that I recorded these track 96Khz/24bit...just because I could at the time. I tried opening a blank session at these settings and it shut down on me again. The ProFire 2626 can supposedly have 192khz/24bit....So anyone know what the issue may be? I know I can convert the audio files but I'd like to be able to open the session as I had it before. Will there be an obvious change in sound quality when degrading the audio to 44.1/24 bit?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Try import session data in to a new session.
If this continues. try importing a few tracks or single-track until you find one with issue.
We all are assuming your rig works fine other than this particular session. (?)
Importing the session data actually worked. Thanks a lot man. I think the only reason is did work though is because it degrading the audio as it imports all the tracks down to 48khz. Why would 96khz be an issue if profire is supposed to be able to run up to 192??

This is the first time I had any issue.

When I tried to open a blank session with anything higher than 48Khz it does the same thing. Shut down screen.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 AM

2.3.2 ProFire 2626 driver?
Comes in 32 and 64 bit flavors.
OS version?
PT's Version? Regular or MP?
Lot's of choices for reasons.