Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2023, 05:43 AM

Default Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

I'm specifically referring to the Digi 003 interface but it could equally apply to other hardware interfaces with PT. When your computer/software loses contact with the interface and BEFORE you get the message "Lost Communication with interface...." (AFTER which it's a lost cause) is there a faster way to reconnect the two than shutting both down and opening from scratch?

Before AVID discontinued the Digi 003 Family app, in this situation I used to change the sample rate on the Family app and hey presto, everything would spring back to life. Much in the same way that when PT stalls from a CPU overload (and is digitally clipping) and you can open up Playback Engine and check/uncheck "Main Playback Engine" or "Minimize Additional I/O Latency".

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

P.S. My 003 craps out every time one of two room light switches are turned on/off due to some kind of surge issue I'm guessing.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

Hmmm, here are some thoughts:
1-(and the most important), with 002 and 003, NEVER hot-patch(connect or disconnect the firewire with things powered on) as this can fry the 002/003, the firewire card or both(an expensive lesson I learned the hard way)

2-the very first thing to do is buy a new cable as these things do go bad, and for no good reason(a cheap lesson I learned the hard way). A bad cable will give this exact message. At the worst, it doesn't help but you now have a spare cable.

3_re "My 003 craps out every time one of two room light switches are turned on/off due to some kind of surge issue I'm guessing." I would immediately get the wiring fixed by a licensed electrician, OR, get a good quality UPS to power the computer, the 003, your screens and any external drives(if any). Inconsistent power is extremely bad for digital electronics(like the 003 and your computer).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-30-2023, 10:47 AM

^ whoever braniac designed the 6-pin firewire plug was crazy, incompetent or both. firewire 4-pin and the fw800 were good, but this problem applies to EVERY BOX using 6-pin fw400
Old 07-02-2023, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, here are some thoughts:
1-(and the most important), with 002 and 003, NEVER hot-patch(connect or disconnect the firewire with things powered on) as this can fry the 002/003, the firewire card or both(an expensive lesson I learned the hard way)

2-the very first thing to do is buy a new cable as these things do go bad, and for no good reason(a cheap lesson I learned the hard way). A bad cable will give this exact message. At the worst, it doesn't help but you now have a spare cable.

3_re "My 003 craps out every time one of two room light switches are turned on/off due to some kind of surge issue I'm guessing." I would immediately get the wiring fixed by a licensed electrician, OR, get a good quality UPS to power the computer, the 003, your screens and any external drives(if any). Inconsistent power is extremely bad for digital electronics(like the 003 and your computer).
Thanks for the advice. In your second point are you referring to a power cable for the 003?
Old 07-02-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmackdaddy View Post
Thanks for the advice. In your second point are you referring to a power cable for the 003?
The crap fw400 6-pin cable
Old 07-02-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The crap fw400 6-pin cable
This^^^

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-02-2023, 11:51 AM

Thanks very much to both of you. I wasn't aware of the cable issue before but I certainly haven't changed it in years so that's my first order of business in the morning and I'm encouraged (from what I've just read now based on your advice) that it may sort out the problem. It's persisted despite me moving my studio from one location to another so I no longer think it's an electrical problem. Fingers crossed and thanks again!
Old 07-02-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmackdaddy View Post
Thanks very much to both of you. I wasn't aware of the cable issue before but I certainly haven't changed it in years so that's my first order of business in the morning and I'm encouraged (from what I've just read now based on your advice) that it may sort out the problem. It's persisted despite me moving my studio from one location to another so I no longer think it's an electrical problem. Fingers crossed and thanks again!
Also take pliers and squeeze the long sides of the 003 fw connector ever so slightly, so that the cable has tighter fit
Old 07-03-2023, 04:04 AM

I've moved the 003 FW cable to the alternative 1394 port and so far so good. Is it possible that the first port is faulty without actually being "fried"? Also thanks for the pliers tip (I love stuff like that!) it could end up coming in very handy. Cheers.
Old 07-03-2023, 06:12 AM

Alas I spoke too soon...