How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2015, 08:42 PM

Default Soft Synth Question - Korg Legecy Collection

So here's my question.

Will the Korg Legacy Collection software be compatable with any synth brand (eg: Akai, M-Audio, Novation...)?

This might be a really stupid question, but I don't want to buy a third party synth-brand without the assurance that I can still use Korg software with it.

Cheers guys!
Old 09-19-2015, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Soft Synth Question - Korg Legecy Collection

Hi Seanohh - welcome to DUC!

Based on your other thread, and further to mesaone's advice there, it looks like you might be new to this and could do with some help with some of the terminology. If you're not and do not, my apologies in advance! :)

Although Akai, M-Audio and Novation do indeed make synths (in the 'traditional' sense i.e. hardware that synthesises sounds, even if not necessarily analogue), I suspect that you are again referring to their MIDI keyboard controllers.

Some/most keyboards with built-in sounds can also act as MIDI controllers and this may be part of the confusion. If you plan to work with just a 'controller' triggering sounds from a 'virtual instrument' or VI running within your 'digital audio workstation' or DAW, such as Pro Tools or Logic ... or maybe working standalone or in another 'host' such as Mainstage), a MIDI controller might be all you need. The range of sounds will then be limited only by the VI plugins that you purchase for your computer, as opposed to a hardware synthesiser which (notwithstanding using this as a MIDI controller) can only work with its own sounds (oscillators, etc.)

Please make sure your VIs are compatible with your operating system (Windows, Mac, etc.) and are available in the format used by your host e.g. AU (only on Mac), VST or AAX (exclusive to Pro Tools). When you purchase a VI, you might gain access to all or just specific versions.

Taking the above into account, Korg Legacy Collection should work with any MIDI controller. This product comes with standalone versions e.g. on my Mac, I can launch M1 and just play around without running it in a separate host application (e.g. Pro Tools or MainStage). However, as you're posting in a Pro Tools forum, please note that KLC is not (yet ... no one knows if this will come?!) available in AAX format, so will not work in Pro Tools without some jiggery-pokery which you might want to avoid if at an early stage (Patchwork, Soundflower, etc.)

So, to answer your question, using a 'third party synth brand' (assuming you're referring to a keyboard controller (e.g. Akai's displayed here - http://www.akaipro.com/category/keyboards) is unlikely to be your problem with KLC and Pro Tools: the lack of an AAX version is. Please bear in mind that to get the best out of more sophisticated controllers (mapping all the controls such as sliders and knobs to software), you'll probably have to research that specific model/host combinations.

If you're after an accurate emulation of those specific Korg synths, KLC is obviously good, but if you're just looking for a good synth VI to start with, maybe listen to suggestions here and watch lots of Youtube videos :)

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2015, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Soft Synth Question - Korg Legecy Collection

BTW, Korg include KLC (either the whole thing or part, allowing for a discounted upgrade) with some if their own MIDI controllers, so if you really want the software, getting a Korg keyboard might help keep costs down :)