Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 04:25 PM

Default I need help reinstalling OSX and HD

My computer and pro tools went haywire so i thought it was a good idea to reinstall everything. So i did and now everytime i want to load or start a new session i get a grey filter that goes across my whole screen and a little box that tells me to restart my computer in about seven differnt languages. i didn't install any OSX updates so i dont know what it is. Can somebody please help me. It's been about a week and i cant get it to work. I need a the feedback i cna get thanx everybody.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: I need help reinstalling OSX and HD

Go to Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilties and launch Disk Utility. Choose your Macintosh HD in the left pane, then click Repair Disk Permissions. When its done, try launching Pro Tools. If you still get a kernel panic (the definition of what causes that grey screen), click the link in my signature and verify that you have got everything up to snuff.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:55 PM

i did the disk repair permissions and it still didn't fix the problem.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:44 AM

Well, did you check the compatibility documents? Are you running an approved version of Mac OS X? The latest cs release of Pro Tools for whichever version you have? Do you have enough RAM? Any 3rd party peripherals connected to the Mac? These things happen for a reason.

Before you pack it in today, boot up off of the Apple Hardware Test disc or partition (which you have depends on your model Mac). Press control+L when it finishes loading and you'll see Looping=On in the lower right hand corner. Click Extended Test, and let the machine sit. When you come back in the morning, one of two things will have happened. It will either still be looping, and it will tell you which iteration of the loop it is on, or it will have found a fault. If it finds a fault, it stops with an error code and you can see which iteration of the loop it stopped on.

If your system isn't 1 year old, it helps to call Apple and Digidesign as well.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:17 PM

unfortunatly it has been just over a year from my purchase date so they wont help me. I dont know PT was working fine untill recently it just started acting up and then it went out of control.
If it was working fine when my os and PT were first installed the shouldn't it work if i reinstall?
I kind of regret ever reinstalling everything but i didn't know what else to do. I will try what you said when i get off of work. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
If it was working fine when my os and PT were first installed the shouldn't it work if i reinstall?
If the source of your problem was purely software, and the problem software wasn't reinstalled, then yes. If the problem is hardware, all bets are off.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:40 PM

Quote:
If you did an archive and install, it should work. If you reinstall over the broken software, without removing it, you may have kept the problem.

If you live in Montréal, you can call me, I do on site support. 514-815-9561

JC