Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Roland Octa-Capture crashes (PT 11 - Win 7 /64-bit )

Well PT 11.1 works with my Octa-Capture, kinda...

I've been playing with it for a short while now and I am able to successfully run my sessions.

However, when I load a 44.1K session followed by a 48K session (or vice versa) PT becomes sluggish or totally unresponsive. If I exit PT completely and open the "sluggish" session again, things seem OK.

In other words, PT seems unable to reset the sample rate without exiting and restarting the application. Otherwise, things get hung up.

More info as I work more with the new update.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:15 PM

Well this in encouraging news. Hopefully I'll get to test the Octa Capture we have at work on Friday. I'll report back then.

FWIW, I have the same issue with the sample rates with my Focusrite 18i20, except that Protools won't even launch much less run sluggishly. I usually have to restart Protools at least twice to get it to run after changing the sample rate on my 18i20.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
In other words, PT seems unable to reset the sample rate without exiting and restarting the application. Otherwise, things get hung up.
Pro Tools has always been not friendly with changing sample rates, buffers, sound card in the middle of something...

I usually restart when I have to change this things just to get sure it handles it correctly.
At least, PT11 launch is way much faster than PT10 (especially if it was already launched once on the same pc session), we can't take that away !

I'll test this update asap.

Barath, Was the fix you mentionned implemented in this update, or...?

-----
PT 10 & 11 / Octa-Capture
Vaio Z (Win7 64bits)
Full details on my profile...
Old 12-24-2013, 08:44 AM

I just downloaded the update (bit of a lengthy update) but the quad capture worked fine with me for playback, not tested recording yet, I'll post on here again when I record, but it seems fine so far! Shame it took so long for this to come out but at least its a start!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:01 AM

Regret selling my OctaCapture now :)

But I knew this day would come.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:32 PM

I finally ran out of patience. I'm not paying for rubbish that doesn't work and insults me by informing me of a fix and then doesn't actually update me.

Dear Cxxxxxxxxxx
arvato systems GmbH just sent you a full refund of £238.80 GBP for your purchase.
If you have any questions about this refund, please contact arvato systems GmbH.
The refund will go to your PayPal account.
To see all the transaction details, please log in to your PayPal account. It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
Merchant information
arvato systems GmbH
[email protected]
+49 52418042245 Note from merchant
None provided
Original transaction details
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Purchase from arvato systems GmbH £238.80 GBP 1 £238.80 GBP

Insurance: ----
Total: £238.80 GBP

Refund to PayPal Balance: £238.80 GBP

Why should I tolerate such behavior. I'm out and back in pocket. No quibble refund and it should be. Disgraceful.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Nice to see you didn't have much trouble getting a refund!
I think you made the right choice!

-----
PT 10 & 11 / Octa-Capture
Vaio Z (Win7 64bits)
Full details on my profile...
Old 12-26-2013, 03:50 PM

I sent this to Avid with the successful refund request. They have taken no action to restore my surrendered licenses so of course I am in a worse place as I have changed my dongle and lost access to PT 9. Bummer I guess. I have to say Logic X is amazing and I think I will head off in that direction awhile. Good luck all, maybe we will cross paths again with P Tools 12 or 13. I wouldn't hold your breath tho'

This product does not work with my Roland Quad capture. It is an Avid recognised fault and has been fixed internally by Avid engineers. After several months this fix has still not been released to users and therefore I have not been able to use the software at all. I am now out of patience and utterly disgusted with the dreadful indifference I and the many other Roland interface users have been subject too.

Under The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (UK as amended) a product should be fit for its intended purpose and if not, should be refunded in full. As part of my dreadful decision to crossgrade to version 11 I have surrendered my Protools 9 license meaning I can no longer run it. Something I was able to do when I crossgraded to the somewhat initially flaky protools 10.
I would like to reverse all licenses to the situation I was in prior to this abortive version 11 upgrade. The situation was that as a version 10 user I still had a 9 license to use should ten become unuseable.

Your help accomplishing this would be greatly appreciated. I give you notice that I will be publishing all communications on the public forum 'Avid Pro Audio Community' run by Avid so that others in my situation may benifit from my experience of trying to rectify this depressing and complex situation.

No reply other than refund. Ho hum

C
Old 12-26-2013, 04:00 PM

Yes Fir3bird it was a simple process to invoke via the digital returns page. Everyone who has fallen foul of this debacle should do it. Nothing to lose and it makes a good point. The position that Avid has assumed it indefensible and a plain admission of fault/error has been made. It took only a few days and I feel happy to walk away knowing I am not being ignored any longer. Vote with your feet. If they fix it tomorrow we have the choice to re-upgrade.

Digital returns URL

http://avid.force.com/Support/cc_avi...rofdestruction
Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 AM

While I'm not 100% pleased with the problems we've had, I'm voting with my feet and staying with Avid and Roland.

Over the years I've dealt with MUCH worse situations, where I've been left completely dead in the water, with software that didn't work at all, and a developer who didn't give a damn about my problems.

Sure, Avid was a bit stingy in keeping us informed about progress towards a fix (and that is my biggest complaint) but they did eventually acknowledged the issue and dealt with it.

The thing I respect the most about Avid's roll out of PT 11 is the decision to allow the co-install of PT 10. Any major revision of a large software application is going to have some problems - that's just reality - there ARE going to be bugs! Having PT 10 to work with meant I was able to continue working uninterrupted. It wasn't ideal, a bit inconvenient, but it was never the catastrophe implied by some.

Good luck in finding any piece of software or hardware that never has ANY problems! I think you're going to be looking for quite awhile...