Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2012, 06:00 PM

Default SSD caching?

Should we take advantage of with Pro Tools or not?
Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Re: SSD caching?

The answer is 42, but for other answers you might want to recast your question so its understandable, or at least parses as a sentence. You mean what? Should the following be used with Pro Tools at all? Or are they highly beneficial? And what exactly...

An SSD with a large RAM memory cache?

A spinning disk with an SSD cache?

A SSD with Pro Tools at all?

The Pro Tools 10 HD/CPTK disk cache feature used with SSD disk?

or ...?

Darryl
Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 PM

My board allows an SSD and HDD to be paired. Apparently, the SSD will cache the HDD data while all files will be written to the HDD. The manual says it allows for "all the speed benefits" on an SSD with "the mass storage benefits" of HDD.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0mgt View Post
My board allows an SSD and HDD to be paired. Apparently, the SSD will cache the HDD data while all files will be written to the HDD. The manual says it allows for "all the speed benefits" on an SSD with "the mass storage benefits" of HDD.
Gotta love marketing guys who write this stuff.

What exactly is "your board"? The details of some of this depends on how all this is implemented. Whether it does blocking write through etc. I hope the manufacturer backs this up with some useful technical explanations and performance measurements.

What are you trying to "improve"/hoping to use this for, audio drive, sample drive or boot drive?

My general option is if you are going to dink with this stuff forget the spinning disk and go straight to SSD. (just ordered as Samsung 512 GB SSD system drive for my old MacBook Pro...) And the unfortunate bottom line answer to almost anything is likely to be you'll have to try it yourself and see with Pro Tools. No user here is likely to have exactly the same controller, HDD, SSD, and OS version etc. etc. as you want to run with so there will always be significant risk with so many variables involved.

Darryl
Old 09-15-2012, 10:36 PM

i personally dont see any use for this in pro tools... you've got a big drive... store your stuff on there.. while you work on projects, copy said project to the SSD and run it off there... very easy... then turn on RAM CACHE and be done with it..