Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Major Issue I need some help

Okay before you all tell me how old my stuff is.... I know.

Running Digi001 PTLE 5.1.1 on a Blue & White G3 400 with 1g RAM, just added an Alesis ADAT I/O.

On my very first session with the Alesis additional I/O I recorded a live concert 14 channels just about 143 minutes long (a couple of breaks in there). I did not have time to really go through and test everything but I recorded some test vocals through every channel and did check playback and everything was fine the night before the gig. Fast forward, the gig is over and everything sounds just groovy when I go to review some key sections.

The next day I come back to the studio (its built into a former church so its the same location as the computer was in, nothing changed except the day), and now when I go to playback it sounds like the Chipmunks. I shut down PT and restart.... same thing, I copy some of the files over to my iBook and open them in iTunes in mono and its the same thing. Finally I figure out that if I Pitchshift the files down by 8 semitones it's just about dead on perfect.

I spent the rest of the afternoon letting the machine do it's thing on all of the files after I made a safety copy of the originals. I go through and do a Bounce to Disk on my rough live mix files and convert to 44.1 @ 16bit (recorded 48k @ 20 bit). Then I copied those files to my ibook and took it home to use my newer Toast 8 to burn the CD. I put the files into toast and used the preview feature to listen before I burned.... everything is now slow.

So to recap, the original files sounded fine one day, chipmunky the next, the pitchshifted files sounded perfect on the PT computer but slow on my ibook and Mini both.

My only thought is that I need to just sit and wait for the slow as crap 4x burner on my G3 to burn the disc and see how it sounds.

Or did i somehow enable some super duper secret file compression feature that is easy to fix?

I am going back in to the studio Monday night to try to get this fixed, I've now worked 87 hours in the last 7 days and I'm going to bed.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Travis
Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Major Issue I need some help

When using an external digital device - you are responsible for ensuring that your external clock matches the Pro Tools session sample rate.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
When using an external digital device - you are responsible for ensuring that your external clock matches the Pro Tools session sample rate.

Rail
Thanks but that does not help fix the issue with these recordings.
I did check everything first (or at least thought I had) and even played back the audio that I recorded and it sounded perfect, shut down, come back and it plays back differently. I would think if there were a clocking mismatch, that it would show up when I replayed the audio during both the testing and the initial playback after recording. Or am I talking crazy talk?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 AM

What you have done is record a session at 44.1 while you "told" Tools (through the external clock it was receiving via ADAT) that the session was 48kHz. now when you play it back at 48K (it might be the other way round but I'm sure you can figure it out if you read on) it is playing the files (which pro tools "believes" to be 48 but they are not) faster than they should be (48/44.1 faster) and the pitch goes up.
not a big deal really here is what to do:
open the session connect a external adat device and set the clock on that device to 44.1 and set tools wordclock to adat. now the session will play back correctly.
only thing: if you create a bounce that will be marked incorrectly as well (48 but it really is 44.1). in Tools 7 and i think in 6 you can just change that in the workspace browser but I don't know if that was possible in 5 so you'll have to find something that you can use to change the meta data for that file (tell it it is 44.1, which is what the worspace browser does).

oh and from now on check your sampling rates and it doesn't happen again. and don't trust anybody else to set them for you, that's how I got into a similar situation.

al the best

rob
Old 03-05-2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks Rob I was certain that I had it set right but I've been known to do bonehead moves before, so there is a precedent.

Travis
Old 03-05-2007, 08:22 PM

Yeah you are right. The files show up as 44.1k files but PT treats them as 48k files. Thanks for the help.

edit.....
I tried transferring the session & files to another machine that has PTLE7 and tried changing the 48000 to 44100 in workspace. It did not change anything. We did convert the files to wav files and then we were able to change the resolution but setting it to 44100 did not slow down the audio enough.

I'm just to the point where I am going to daisy chain my friends PT to mine (not sync'd of course just audio out of mine to audio in of his) and do a real time run down of the session into a properly set up session. Then the only problem is that the session is a PTLE7 file and not a PTLE5, so I will have to go through that mess.

I have not found anything that will allow me to convert the sample rate, am I not looking in the right places?

Does anyone have any ideas to help me save these files?