Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2023, 03:30 AM

Default HDX Monitoring Latency vs TDM Accel

Hey all!

We still use several Accel rigs here but recently I’ve been using an HDX system at another studio. It shocked me to discover that changing the buffer size caused more latency on record enabled or input monitored tracks…this was never the case in TDM - regardless of buffer size, monitoring latency was extremely low and virtually non existent.

What exactly changed? Or am I doing something wrong? Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,
Sig

Last edited by Siegfried Meier; 10-31-2023 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:21 AM

Default Re: HDX Monitoring Latency vs TDM Accel

If you haven’t worked on an HDX system in a while, you might want to read up on this…

https://www.avid.com/resource-center/hdx-hybrid-engine

it could be what you’re experiencing.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:03 AM

Yes. Most likely in hybrid mode. In pure HDX mode, we don't have any latency issues. In hybrid mode, I've been in more than a few studios who have set the record tracks (from input to the various outputs including monitoring) incorrectly and they experience latency. Helping them trace the routing path, once all the correct tracks/paths were in DSP mode, they didn't have any latency issues anymore.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:11 PM

The native buffer shouldn’t affect the DSP monitoring paths in either classic or hybrid modes. I ended up ditching HDX last year because the hybrid engine was the worst of both worlds in practice. Looser sync and more latency related issues than HDX in classic mode or just sticking to native with a HD Native setup.

It’s a bummer to hear that these issues are still persisting as the hybrid engine is a great idea in principle.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 11-05-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
If you haven’t worked on an HDX system in a while, you might want to read up on this…

https://www.avid.com/resource-center/hdx-hybrid-engine

it could be what you’re experiencing.
Ahhh yes, I think you are correct…I’ll have to play around more with it, but I wasn’t even aware this was a thing nor that it was enabled on this system.

Thanks for the info!
Sig
Old 11-04-2023, 10:56 AM

i utterly despise hybrid mode. I have 2 hdx cards for that reason.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
i utterly despise hybrid mode. I have 2 hdx cards for that reason.
What is it you hate about it?
Old 11-07-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried Meier View Post
What is it you hate about it?

If youre asking.
I hate the unreliable delay comp/ sync issues I encounter sporadically when tracking.

Often, tracks print out of time.
and only play in time while theyre in record/ "hybrid" green status.

ZERO issues with the same session working is straight HDX mode.

Ive documented this in video, shared many times with Avid support.
No response other than, "we know" ".....its been a problem". but zero solutions.

other than, dont use it.

very very sad

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 11-07-2023, 10:36 PM

There are too many latency and ADC bugs and corner cases where things don't work, in native and hybrid. Avid needs to get some serious focus on all these issues. Many of us have got bugs open in these areas, so there is zero excuse from Avid about not knowing about the issues.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There are too many latency and ADC bugs and corner cases where things don't work, in native and hybrid. Avid needs to get some serious focus on all these issues. Many of us have got bugs open in these areas, so there is zero excuse from Avid about not knowing about the issues.
I can fully confirm this statement, after spending 5 days troubleshooting ADC and MIDI timing weirdness while verifying my template for PT 2023.9.

I have been able to find some kind of workaround for most of the current bugs, but it's a definite workflow killer.

One might think that with the release of Sketch, AVID is pulling the card of the creative artist again, but fixing these age-old MIDI and ADC bugs: Oh, no, we won't.

As someone stated elsewhere, it seems the AVID developers have absolutely no clue about how it should all work together in real-life scenarios involving outboard MIDI synths, hardware inserts, multiple bussing and monitoring and cue paths.

They really, really need to address this part of the software with some real artist feedback and proper testing.

When, oh, when?