Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Slow Melodyne Question

So I have a dual, Xeon 5160 (so four 3.0 Ghz cores), Dell PWS 690 with a whopping 3 GB of RAM running our HD 3 PT 8.0.4 rig with XP.

It takes a *lot* for us to max out the system but I will admit that Melodyne really *crawls* on this rig. I know these are aged processors and that it's really probably time to upgrade the machine (a whole 'nother can o' worms) but is there anything I can do to get a little more oompf and life out of this system, maybe 6-9 more months, 'til we go HDX?

If the Dell will take it, would putting in two X5355 processors and more RAM make that much more a speed difference? The benchmarks you find online would make it seem so.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Slow Melodyne Question

Well, your rig is getting long in the tooth Have you upped the buffer to the highest setting? Melodyne uses a lot of horsepower(and all of it from the cpu since its not a TDM plugin). If I don't up the buffer, mine doesn't bog down a lot, but sometimes it will crash(thank Avid for auto-save). Also, if I try to Melodyne several tracks at once, that will kill the rig faster if I forget to up the buffer. Sorry I can't offer advice on the XEON upgrade. More RAM might help a little, but I'd hate to have you spend money on old tech(all the newer setups run DDR3). My money would be on a new build(i7 socket 2011 on an X79 motherboard with 16GB of quad-channel RAM).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM

I haven't up'd the buffer to the highest setting. I'll try that! It's never crashed on me just runs slow and we never Melodyne more that one track at a time.

Our machine is long in the tooth but at the same time it's gettin' work done with very, *very*, little problems and we don't Melodyne vocals all that often. Still, I can feel it being sluggish and just putting some newer Xeons would seem to make a difference but I'm kinda with you in that I'd like to not invest in older technology. I've been looking at an X79 build but we still have PCI-X HD cards so if I go that route I'd have to buy a Magma which isn't all that bad... I guess.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 AM

don't know if it applies to you in this situation. but i've used melodyne for quite a few years now. i usually use Studio. One undocumented quirk is this, Melodyne chokes on silence. For example, if I were to scan a vocal file in, with the only audio being at the end of the song, Melodyne will take FOREVER. I always compensate by using the Signal Generator and printing a sine tone in the silent spots. If I had a dozen vocals to scan in, and didn't use the sig-gen... it would take 10x longer no matter if I used my Mac G5 or my Quad core Xeon. Before scanning a vocal, make sure there's not a lot of silence in your scan area.

Sorry if this is off topic or doesn't apply. Its just that I can save literally 10s of hours using this method. If it helps you awesome.

brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Interesting! I don't capture a lot of blank audio though. Just about a measure before and after where I need to sweeten the vocals. I will keep this in mind. Thanks for the tip!