Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Suggestions from EWQLSO users?

I have been using EWQLSO platinum and gold for more than a year. Initially, there were lots of crashes, and beach balls early and often. Over the last few months, it has settled down to where crashes are infrequent (2 or 3 per week), but I have been living with the beach balls, in a grudging acceptance of interruptions.

The more instruments I have in my pallette, the longer the beach balls take to go away. I max out at about 8-16 instruments, as the beach balls last for 10-15 seconds with that much loaded in. Typically I have to make decisions earlier on and commit to audio so I don't completely bust my groove.

I'm looking for suggestions for improving performance. I have been afraid of going to 7, because of the fact it is 'working' now without too many crashes. Going to 7 is an option though, if that gives me a good shot at improvement.

Thanks for any ideas -

10.3.7 (Compato documents on the digi site seem to indicate 6.9 wants 10.3.8, which I just figured out)
Dual 1.8 G5
3 Gigs of Ram - but it is brand X

http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/
http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/w...music-samples/
http://stevemillikan.com/

Old 09-20-2006, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Suggestions from EWQLSO users?

The library needs to be on a fast and separate drive.
Internal SATA is what I use and it's been fine. I use to use an external firewire and did notice improvement with the SATA setup.
I also use Kontakt 2 and not the player that came with the software lib..

G5 dual 2.7 6gb apple ram** (Samsung)
OS 10.4.7
PT's 7.1 cs9*
*Watch out for that drag and drop bug

** 4gb ram seemed faster.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:21 AM

I don't think you will see any improvement by going up to PT7. I have EWQLSO gold and it does the same.
The problem isn't with the sample library per se, but with Kompakt. This happens also with Kontakt (1 and 2), which I have. It's quite worrying the first time it happens but it's one of those things you have to get used to.
I find the best way is to print to audio as soon as possible.It doesn't take long to do and will speed things up considerably and you can keep the number of Kompakt instances down to a minimum.
Best regards
Warren
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 09-20-2006, 10:33 AM

Most serious users of this product put it on one or more external computers (I'm using 4 PCs, myself). Using an external computer is the only way to get a high degree of stability and large voice counts. Besides that, I think that RTAS is part of the problem. From all I've seen, NI plug-ins work a lot better as AU or VST.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 AM

Gold must have some problems though.

In Logic, on the Mac, many of us had intermittent burst of loud white noise when hitting play.

I traced it finally to QLSO Gold, in MULTI mode. Soon as I deleted the multi, no more noise. It worked fine in stereo mode.

The program hasn't been updated in ages (for Mac anyway).

TH
Old 09-20-2006, 05:13 PM

Thanks to all for the comments so far.

I'm running the samples from an 80 Gig Maxtor via SATA (Platinum, that is - Gold are on Firewire, but I don't generally use them).

My strong desire it to make whatever improvements I can without introducing another sequencing platform; I think Lee you use Logic, if I remember, but my technical prowess is broke, so I really want to stay PT. However, if I could see substantial improvement by using another computer in some capacity to augment my setup, that would be fine. I looked at the Receptor, but wasn't convinced it was the way to go, though I'm not sure.

With these provisos, any more thoughts, or am I at a dead end?

http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/
http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/w...music-samples/
http://stevemillikan.com/