Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Which Free Plug Ins?

While getting ready to update to 7.2, I realize that Digi owes me two free plug-ins from my 7.1 upgrade.

So my choices are DINR, Syncronic, and Slightly Rude Compressor.

DINR is the most expensive if purchased seperately, but is it any good as compared to other options?

I have no shortage of limiter plug-ins, but is the Slightly Rude bring anything special to the party?

Syncronic is probably a tool I wouldn't use much because I'm not a loop guy, but can I have some fun with it and learn something?

I've posted this question here before, but I thought I get some fresh opinions. I don't do much restoration or looping, but another compressor could be boring.

What to do?

Mark
Old 09-20-2006, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Which Free Plug Ins?

bump.

hate to do this, but no one hear has used DINR, Slightly Rude Compressor, or Synchronic? Just looking for opinions of usefulness from someone who has actually used any of the above.

Mark

Quote:
While getting ready to update to 7.2, I realize that Digi owes me two free plug-ins from my 7.1 upgrade.

So my choices are DINR, Syncronic, and Slightly Rude Compressor.

DINR is the most expensive if purchased seperately, but is it any good as compared to other options?

I have no shortage of limiter plug-ins, but is the Slightly Rude bring anything special to the party?

Syncronic is probably a tool I wouldn't use much because I'm not a loop guy, but can I have some fun with it and learn something?

I've posted this question here before, but I thought I get some fresh opinions. I don't do much restoration or looping, but another compressor could be boring.

What to do?

Mark
Old 09-20-2006, 07:50 AM

DINR is good if you will be mixing dialogue for films. documentaries, tv, etc. It's pretty good for cleaning up dialogue tracks recorded on noisy locations. Don't know about the other 2.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
DINR is good if you will be mixing dialogue for films. documentaries, tv, etc. It's pretty good for cleaning up dialogue tracks recorded on noisy locations. Don't know about the other 2.
I wonder how it compares to the Waves tools?

Mark
Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The Waves Restoration tools are vastly superior. If you have the Restoration tools, you'll never use DINR. You can eliminate a lot more noise with X-Noise before getting those weird artifacts than you can with DINR. DINR was great in its time, but it came out many years before the Restoration tools, and there has been a lot of progress in DSP in those intervening years.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Waves Restoration tools are vastly superior. If you have the Restoration tools, you'll never use DINR. You can eliminate a lot more noise with X-Noise before getting those weird artifacts than you can with DINR. DINR was great in its time, but it came out many years before the Restoration tools, and there has been a lot of progress in DSP in those intervening years.

Thanks Lee.

Any other opinions on these three plug-ins?

Mark
Old 09-20-2006, 04:10 PM

Synchronic is pretty entertaining. It slices loops in a similar way to rex files and then you can filter, distort, delay, pitch and mess around with the slice order very, very quickly. I've certainly found it useful. I agree with the others re DINR though if you haven't got Waves restoration or the like it can certainly help in some situations.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Administrator

In case you haven't been able to try these plug-ins yourself, trial licenses are now available for these and many other Digi plug-ins.

From the iLok Authorization Info Quick Link page in the Support section:
Quote:
Pro Tools 7 Plug-ins Trial Licenses
A new system to obtain trial licenses for many Digidesign plug-ins for Pro Tools 7 is now available on the website. Trial mode lets you try this software on your system before purchasing it. To activate a time-limited trial license for this software, you must have an iLok and a valid iLok.com User ID. Please Note: Trial licenses are not available for every plug-in, most non-plug-in software options, or the Pro Tools application.

To obtain your trial license using the online activation process:
  • Go to the Pro Tools Plug-Ins product section*
  • Select the page for the Digidesign, Digidesign/Bomb Factory, Digidesign/Trillium Lane Labs, or other Digi-distributed plug-ins you are interested in trying.
  • Go to the download section for each plug-in
  • Click the link that says [Activate Now]
  • Enter your iLok.com User ID
  • If you have not previously tried the plug-in, the time-limited trial license will be deposited to your iLok account
*also a Quick Link in the Support section
Old 09-21-2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:
In case you haven't been able to try these plug-ins yourself, trial licenses are now available for these and many other Digi plug-ins.

Good to know that demoes are again available.

I don't have any "noisy" tracks to use as source material for DINR, so I'm looking for opinions from those who have used it. So far, it appears that an update is in order.

I've downloaded Slightly Rude, and will DL Synchronic later today.

Thank you for your response.

Mark