Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2023, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Carbon vs Apollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
PA plugins(new Apple Silicon versions) are working from the limited testing I have done. Though, I have a lot of them but mainly use/tested the BX and SPL plugins from the line. Ran well on an HDX system with the HD I/0's connected as well as my own native setup with the Apollo X8p/Twin X.
I was looking at Carbon at one point and decided to go with the Apollos after watching Matt Hepworth's Carbon vs Apollo video on Youtube. I also figured I could use the Macbookpro, Twin X, and UAD plugins to simulate my actually hardware which I'm on the go. So far so good.
PA plugins, at least some of them, still have the sluggishness problem, putting them in and out of DSP mode on Carbon. This can range from a few seconds to a few minutes. This hasn't been fixed by their recent port to AS native code.
Other developers (notably Empirical Labs), once alerted to the problem, spoke to Avid and fixed the problem within days.

Dominic
Old 08-27-2023, 05:19 AM

Carbon works only on macOS, so can be a downside for the future.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:42 AM

where did you find a Carbon for 2000 bucks (shipped)?
Old 08-28-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
PA plugins, at least some of them, still have the sluggishness problem, putting them in and out of DSP mode on Carbon. This can range from a few seconds to a few minutes. This hasn't been fixed by their recent port to AS native code.
Other developers (notably Empirical Labs), once alerted to the problem, spoke to Avid and fixed the problem within days.

Dominic

OK
I'm glad I'm not experiences those issues (fingers crossed). I still thought it took PA a long time to convert over.

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 08-28-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro Brovazzo View Post
where did you find a Carbon for 2000 bucks (shipped)?
It was mentioned earlier in the thread. Looks like a B-stock deal

https://www.altomusic.com/avid-pro-t...9900-74103-00#
Old 08-29-2023, 08:08 AM

I was an Apollo user since the very first version. Loved it for location recordings, but somehow, I had a hard time mixing through it. My mix rig at that time was the HD io, but I wanted to go Native. So the Apollo was my first choice since I already owned a unit. Well, I'm not sure what it was, but I struggled getting my mixes to sound right. So, I thought I'd give the Carbon a try, and boom, there it was. I was impressed right away! The pre's are pretty descent as well. I still use the UA's plug ins quite a bit, but the Apollo is long gone.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
It was mentioned earlier in the thread. Looks like a B-stock deal

https://www.altomusic.com/avid-pro-t...9900-74103-00#
Also apparently did not come with software either, where as a new Carbon has PT Ultimate

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 08-30-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Also apparently did not come with software either, where as a new Carbon has PT Ultimate
Right. But for existing users a great deal. I like the idea of Carbon except the asinine fake AVB interface.
Old 08-30-2023, 02:33 PM

I reached out to Alto Music about this deal as it seemed to good to be true. Their response was:

"These are new Carbon interfaces, but I will note that these are the first revisions that were limited to 24 bit recording, instead of the current 32 bit spec. Otherwise they are brand new without the PT software."

I was looking at this $1,999 deal from Alto for a friend but, but Ultimately (no pun intended), decided not to recommend this deal. Something doesn't feel quite right here.
Old 08-30-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeller View Post
"These are new Carbon interfaces, but I will note that these are the first revisions that were limited to 24 bit recording, instead of the current 32 bit spec.
I don't know what this is about. There haven't been two versions as far as I can check. The Nov 2020 press release on the intro of the Carbon states 32 bit converters. I can't find a trace of such a different beast ever exisitng.

Anyone at Avid want to chime in of if this version even existed?