Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2023, 11:03 PM

Default Re: New M2 Macs Out Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Several reports are indicating that the SSD in the M2 Mini is half the speed of the previous generation.
No. The report is only for the low sized versions (256GB/512GB)
Old 01-30-2023, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
OK, but how many people do you know record audio(on a native system) with the buffer set to 1024?

I don't know any. lol.
Try mixing a session with Waves Clarity VX at 64 and get back to me.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-30-2023, 02:25 AM

Default New M2 Macs Out Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowHoffman View Post
After a long call with Apple support and three techs, the third finally told me that Silicon Macs cannot be downgraded once you install the latest MacOS.
That tech shouldn’t be working at Apple if he’s giving out information like that.

You most certainly can downgrade macOS on AS Macs as long as it’s compatible with the Mac in question.

Quote:
Even the Shift-Alt-Command-R move to get it back to the OS it came with wasn’t working.
That’s the problem. You can’t use recovery mode on AS Macs. You need to use the bootable disk option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2023, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You need to use the bootable disk option.
.. and for that you need thunderbolt drive, AFAIK.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
.. and for that you need thunderbolt drive, AFAIK.

Not anymore.

I believe that was a limitation when the first M1 machines came out but doesn’t appear to be the case anymore. You can definitely use a USB bootable disk.

I think there were all sorts of issues at the start. I recall having to wrestle with Configurator connected to another of my machines when trying to restore my partners M1 MBA. I bought it for her when they first shipped so everything was fairly new. Me being the tinkerer that I am, I was trying a bunch of stuff knowing I could nuke and go back. Was much harder than in the past, but still possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2023, 05:16 AM

Returning the 14" today, but considering trying the 16". I didn't realize that the 16" has a "high power mode" that the 14" doesn't have. I wonder if that would be enough to get just a little more more CPU power to handle my overuse of CPU intensive plugins like Spiff, Gullfoss, Ozone, and a few plugins with oversampling spread throughout some projects. Anyone think it will make enough of a difference? I don't really want to waste more time setting it up if it's not any better. But.... I'd really love to be able to work with mac again! Soundflow/streamdeck and especially imessage makes me miss it.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Try mixing a session with Waves Clarity VX at 64 and get back to me.
LoL, I believe I have that one but don’t use it. I actually went thru my system a while ago and tried to take any cpu hogs or problematic plugins out of my workflow. Far too many options available.

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 01-30-2023, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
LoL, I believe I have that one but don’t use it. I actually went thru my system a while ago and tried to take any cpu hogs or problematic plugins out of my workflow. Far too many options available.
That's the thing - there aren't any good alternatives to Clarity VX.

My CPU is an overclocked 7820X - not cutting edge admittedly. I do all my music VI work in Cubase, and am typically on a 256 buffer working with VE Pro and a very large template. That's sometimes not enough and I have to go to 512 when there's a lot of thirsty VIs too. But you know, I get by playing stuff in, I can live with the latency.

For mixing with Clarity, it's only 1024 that makes it stable (there is a new lighter algorithm but it's not very good). And it doesn't actually matter at all with a buffer size that high when mixing.

Anyway, just pointing out that for many of us, a 64 buffer is wildly unrealistic.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-31-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
That tech shouldn’t be working at Apple if he’s giving out information like that.

You most certainly can downgrade macOS on AS Macs as long as it’s compatible with the Mac in question.
Not true. It shipped with 13.1. I made a 13.1 bootable USB recovery drive and the Mac refused it. It only accepted 13.2 since it upgraded when I unboxed and launched it. I accomplished that in Recovery mode.

SHIFT-ALT-COMMAND-R should have at least installed SOME version of Ventura, but using that just did nothing but boot into a normal start.

Trust me. I spent three hours trying.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Have you done so personally? I've heard from several people who have tried this themselves who say that the Apple tech is correct, and now there's an additional first-hand report just above my post.