Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 PM

Default Re: PCIx in PCI slots...

I would like to know the same thing.

I have HD3 on a G5 and wish to switch to Windows 7 64 bit Pro w/Sandy Bridge i7. Anybody running this successfully with HD PCI cards? Which mobo?

Media Man
Old 05-15-2011, 03:03 AM

It seems like the b65 chipset with native pci support is the way to go.
Here's a link to investigate
Old 05-18-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trelobas View Post
It seems like the b65 chipset with native pci support is the way to go.
Here's a link to investigate
I thought a core card didnt work in a pci slot and that board has 3

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
I thought a core card didnt work in a pci slot and that board has 3
A PCI-X core card will work in a regular PCI slot. The PCI-X cards only need a regular PCI slot to work (they don't use the extra pins on the edge connector).

It's a sheep in wolf's clothing!!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
I would like to know the same thing.

I have HD3 on a G5 and wish to switch to Windows 7 64 bit Pro w/Sandy Bridge i7. Anybody running this successfully with HD PCI cards? Which mobo?

Media Man
Same here....any info so far?
Thx
Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorudess View Post
Same here....any info so far?
Thx
Not really. It seems like there are several mobos that have 3 side by side PCI slots and support the latest Sandy Bridge line of CPUs. I found four or five on newegg.

There seems to be opinions on this forum that whether or not the PCI slots work correctly with PT HD cards depends on the chip set, but there doesn't seem to be consistency in those opinions.

It would be great if someone had a better explanation of which chip set works, which one doesn't, and why.

Digidesign is behind the curve as usual and only "qualifies" the out dated Xeon CPU for Windows. I understand they can't test every mobo, but come on. Some guidelines on the PCI buss limitations/recommendations would be helpful.

Media Man
Old 05-20-2011, 12:13 PM

From what I have gathered the p67, h67 and z68 chipsets do not support pci natively. They do so by a pci to pci-e bridge.

I tried a build with the H67 chipset and the computer would not post at all with more than 2 PCI-X cards in it.

Strange thing is the system works with just 1 core card and will boot with either the accel or process card in it. When I put all 3 in the computer just continually reboots before the post...............

There are some users I am watching closely to see if the Gigabyte GA-P65A-UD3 will work. An additional PCI-e SATA card will be needed becuase the 2nd card covers up a row of SATA headers but the board looks promising.

So far this is the only board that appears will work but is not available in the US. WTF?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTalley View Post
From what I have gathered the p67, h67 and z68 chipsets do not support pci natively. They do so by a pci to pci-e bridge.
Thanks for this solid piece of info. It lead me to this article.

http://semiaccurate.com/2010/08/19/i...e-pci-support/

Media Man
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
Not really. It seems like there are several mobos that have 3 side by side PCI slots and support the latest Sandy Bridge line of CPUs. I found four or five on newegg.

There seems to be opinions on this forum that whether or not the PCI slots work correctly with PT HD cards depends on the chip set, but there doesn't seem to be consistency in those opinions.

It would be great if someone had a better explanation of which chip set works, which one doesn't, and why.

Digidesign is behind the curve as usual and only "qualifies" the out dated Xeon CPU for Windows. I understand they can't test every mobo, but come on. Some guidelines on the PCI buss limitations/recommendations would be helpful.

Media Man
Thank you...

Protools HD2 in here btw.

Yeah, I already know the thing about the chipsets (B65 and Q67)...just waiting for someone using a B65 or Q67 motherboard with HD cards and his opinion.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTalley View Post
There are some users I am watching closely to see if the Gigabyte GA-P65A-UD3 will work. An additional PCI-e SATA card will be needed becuase the 2nd card covers up a row of SATA headers but the board looks promising.

So far this is the only board that appears will work but is not available in the US. WTF?
I am watching closely too... but in the shade
I can easily get that mobo here in Spain, so...just finishing some post projects on my dualcore and waiting for someone saying "yes, the mobo works flawlessly with the hd cards"...