Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2009, 07:58 PM

Default DAE is having trouble keeping up. Your disk may be fragmented or

Hi I am getting this error when I try to record to my 2 Lacie external HDs.
They are ESata drives and 1 TB.

Here is the error:

DAE is having trouble keeping up. Your disk may be fragmented or
firewire drives could be having trouble due to extra bandwith or cpu
load..(9019)

alos we get the same message with (9073)

I can record to the intarnal drives no Problem but not to the external drives.

I have checked on fragmentation and it all good.
The CPU is an Intel dual core. i have 4 gig of ram.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Default Re: DAE is having trouble keeping up. Your disk may be fragmented or

Have you searched the DUC? There are a few threads about these types of problems. Just type in the error codes and you should get a lot of hits. DigiTechSupt had the opinion that most of these errors turned out to be hard drive related in some form or fashion.

Are you using 1 partition for the enitre drive? I had similar problems on a newly built PC last week. Defragmenting didn't help, so I took the advise of a few ppl who posted saying that large drives could be a problem. I'm using an internal SATA Seagate 500GB audio drive. So after moving my files to another drive, I deleted the 500 GB partition, and created and formatted a small 80GB partition. The errors completely disappeared, and I've been recording every day for over a week. When that partition is filled, I'll create another small one & see what happens.

I DO see a fair amount of ppl talking about breaking large drives into smaller partitions, and/or only using half of a drives capacity. Don't know if that would have any effect on the Lacie's or not.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:46 AM

The way I see it, this problem is caused by a fundamental shortcoming in the file structure used by Windows.

I think what happens is that if you defragment your drive, it makes sure that every file covers contiguous sectors. However, it does not ensure that files within the same folder are on contiguous sectors. This means that the audio files in your session could well be on opposite sides of the platter, meaning that the arm has a hard time keeping up with the demand.

The solution, I have found to this, is not to defragment the drive (will make it worse), but instead to use the "Save Copy In" option from the menu. Re-save the project and it should be fine.

eSATA isn't currently supported so there could be some issues there, but I suspect not.

It's interesting that I've not seen this on a Mac, except for drives which are actually too slow. Was your setup working fine previously?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Hi and thanks..
I will try the partition..
Yes it works fine when I run it on the internal drives..

Mike
Old 07-15-2009, 01:35 AM

I usually just keep everything on internal drives now, especially with Windows dropping FAT32 for the external drives. I use those purely as transfers and backups.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 AM

I had the same problem. I had been using a external hard drive to save files to, and that was most likely the problem. Since I had previously partitioned my hard drive, I am running Windows 7 as a seperate drive. When I save all of my files to the Win 7 partiton, all error messages and problems were gone!