Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2016, 12:45 AM

Default HELP! Can't create new session, save button not responding!

Greetings,

Trying to make my Original Mbox 1 great again! Not letting it die! Been with me ever since 2006! Bottom line... My Apple Mac OSX G5 is dying and I'm moving into using ProTools on Windows...

So... I just installed ProTools LE 8 with out a hitch on my Laptop with Windows 8. It installed perfectly and ProTools successfully detects my Original Mbox 1. The problem is when I try to create a new session, the window to name the session opens, I type the project title, but when I hit save to create the session, nothing happens. The save button doesn't respond! It's been a drag! So close yet so far!

Anybody has suffered this conundrum before? Any way to fix it?

Here's my computer tech info:

Lenovo IdeaPad S510p Touch

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200u CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM: 6.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 8.1
Manufacturer: Lenovo

Thanks in advance folks :)

Last edited by LitheVite; 10-27-2016 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:04 AM

Default Re: HELP! Can't create new session, save button not responding!

image provided
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14872652_1250218261709357_1216863291_n.jpg (19.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-27-2016, 04:12 AM

LE8 is not shown as being compatable with Win8. However, try downloading the free 8.0.5 update from the Avid website.This added compatability with Win7, so may make it work in Win8.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 10-27-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitheVite View Post
image provided
I notice you're trying to save it to the "Documents" folder on your internal disk. Shouldn't be the cause of your problem, but you should be saving sessions to a separate, dedicated HD anyway.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:24 AM
zolko

As far as remember, the last version of PTLE to support Mbox1 was 7.4.
I never managed to get Mbox1 work with Windows 7
Old 10-27-2016, 09:34 AM

Mbox 1 was supported up to LE 8.01 so the update might not be a good idea. Getting a separate hard drive(7200 rpm) is a very good idea.(unless this laptop uses an SSD, in which case it may be alright). It might also be the formatting of the drive. Right-click on My Computer and select Manage. In the next window, select Disk Management and look at the drive. The left-most box should show something like:
Disk 0
Basic
465GB

If the word BASIC is not there, what is? If it says DYNAMIC, Pro Tools will not record to a dynamic drive, so it would need to be reformatted(but saving to a properly formatted drive might help as well)

Its an unsupported setup, but don't give up just yet

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
LE8 is not shown as being compatable with Win8. However, try downloading the free 8.0.5 update from the Avid website.This added compatability with Win7, so may make it work in Win8.
Yes... I downloaded the update but when I installed it ProTools wouldn't recognize my Mbox1... That's because the update is for ProTools to work with Mbox2... I had to reinstall ProTools again and not add the update... I learned my lesson the hard way!
Old 10-27-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I notice you're trying to save it to the "Documents" folder on your internal disk. Shouldn't be the cause of your problem, but you should be saving sessions to a separate, dedicated HD anyway.
Didn't know that! I've worked all these years in my MAC OSX G5 with out a separate HD and never had a problem... But yes... Now that I think about it, I've seen other people with external HD when using ProTools! What HD that is not so expensive is good fer' using with ProTools?
Old 10-27-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolko View Post
As far as remember, the last version of PTLE to support Mbox1 was 7.4.
I never managed to get Mbox1 work with Windows 7
I had a Laptop with Windows Vista and ProTools worked fine! Unfortunately that computer passed away with a burned hard drive... But anyways... ProTools LE 8 is supposed to work in Windows 7...
Old 10-27-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Mbox 1 was supported up to LE 8.01 so the update might not be a good idea. Getting a separate hard drive(7200 rpm) is a very good idea.(unless this laptop uses an SSD, in which case it may be alright). It might also be the formatting of the drive. Right-click on My Computer and select Manage. In the next window, select Disk Management and look at the drive. The left-most box should show something like:
Disk 0
Basic
465GB

If the word BASIC is not there, what is? If it says DYNAMIC, Pro Tools will not record to a dynamic drive, so it would need to be reformatted(but saving to a properly formatted drive might help as well)

Its an unsupported setup, but don't give up just yet
The fact that it's an unsupported set up makes it exciting! One of a kind! ProTools Le 8 running fine on Windows 8? Strange! But I know it can be acomplished!

I checked what you said, the information about the formatting drive, it says this:

Disk 0
Basic
931.39 GB

But I guess you hit the nail right on the head... I think the Lenovo Ideapad S510p didn't come equipied with an SSD, whatever that means. I searched on Google and I found lots and lots of posts of people installing SSDs on their Ideapad S510p Laptops! Where can I check to see if my computer is equipied with SSD? If it isn't what would it take fer' this ProTools LE 8 run on my laptop?