Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-09-2002, 12:05 AM

Default moved my session onto a faster drive, but PTLE is still playing the old audio files

i've been using an mbox with my 700 mhz ibook with it's internal drive for a while with very little problems. lately i've noticed some hiccups in my recording and i decided to buy an external 7200 rpm firewire hard drive. i copied a song and it's audio files that i'm working on from my internal drive to my external drive. now when i open the song file from the external drive i think it's still using the audio files from the internal drive.

how do i know this? well first of all i can hear my internal drive clicking away, just as it did when i was running the song off the internal drive. plus i haven't noticed any speed improvements.

is there something else i need to do besides just copy the files over?

thanks for any help.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:46 AM

Default Re: moved my session onto a faster drive, but PTLE is still playing the old audio files

Check your Setups > Disk Allocation, you'll probably find it's still pointing to the internal drive.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:29 AM
Avid

Default Re: moved my session onto a faster drive, but PTLE is still playing the old audio files

Quote:
Originally posted by heartparts:
now when i open the song file from the external drive i think it's still using the audio files from the internal drive.

how do i know this? well first of all i can hear my internal drive clicking away, just as it did when i was running the song off the internal drive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-Choose "Show Full Pathnames" from the Audio Regions List menu...that will tell you for sure what files Pro Tools is referencing.

-The only way to make certain you aren't still referencing the files on the previous drive is to disconnect or un-mount that drive, then re-link to the new drive when you get the "where is ... " dialog.

Since the "previous drive" in your system might be your System Drive, you should just change the directory of the session.

Brent
Old 08-09-2002, 10:34 AM

ok, so i went into disk allocation and changed the path, but that didn't seem to do anything. is there anything else in there i need to change?

also i took my old audio files and moved them so my new session would ask me where my files are. when it asks me i find the new audio files folder but it gives me an error. i can't remember quite what the error was but it said 74 at the end. (sorry i'm at work right now)

is there anything obvious i'm not doing?
Old 08-09-2002, 06:24 PM

here's the error i was talking about.

an assertion occured in
'sys_filetypp.cpp' line 74
Old 08-09-2002, 07:55 PM

Just a thought here. Did you copy your files by drag and drop method? If so, it probably won't work. Do this, assuming the session is still intact on the internal drive, trash the session on your external. Then open that session (from the internal) and go under Save Session Copy In... from the File menu. Copy everything over. Then when you have completed this and you are confident that it copied entirely, trash the session from your internal drive and open the new session from the external. This should work. You should a message asking you to check the new disk path, and you should see the external drive as the destination. Hope this helps.

Rodney
Old 08-09-2002, 08:18 PM

Assertion errors seem to be related to disk problems, eg. low disk space, file or header corruption etc.

Short of another answer from Brent, I'd take rodney's advice - trash your existing firewire session and perform a session copy.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:09 PM

YES! thank you that worked without a hitch. It's amazing how much smoother PT runs on a second HD. thanks again for your guys help.