Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 07:52 AM

Default PT 7 MIDI Live Band Recording Questions...

I'm new to using midi in Protools so go easy on me. I want to record midi data & audio
(live band 2or 3 keyboards & v-drums will be midi & audio with bass/guitar/perc being only audio).

I'll be using a hard disk recorder to capture the audio & the mbox1/PT7 to capture the midi. How can I sync these 2 units ? I then want to transfer the hard disk recorded audio to the mbox and have them line up with the midi data with no timing problems. Is this possible and if so how? Thanks in advance for your time.

suenos
Old 02-02-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Re: PT 7 MIDI Live Band Recording Questions...

Hello,
If your HD recorder supports MTC or SMPTE, then you can sync the mbox and recorder to each other thru midi. Also, get everyone to play to a click track, it will make things easier if there needs to be a little nip/tuck in the editing phase, and it will definitely make the band tighter for the live shows!

SS...........
Old 02-03-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Re: PT 7 MIDI Live Band Recording Questions...

Thanks & 1 other question. Is there a limit to the midi cable length that I can use? The distance from the DAW/band to the HardDisk recorder/control room is pretty far (maybe 70 feet). I was hoping to couple a few midi cables but I'm concerned about potential data loss due to the distance. Thanks and please respond.

suenos