Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2018, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Layback to broadcast spec deliverable Quicktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I appreciate your input. What types of issues and variables have you come across? What exactly have you been through? It’s not that I don’t believe you, it’s just that I have not heard any concrete evidence supporting either way. That’s all that I’m looking for from either Avid or someone who has this information from Avid. Anybody who’s worked in Post understands the “normal” workflow that has been done throughout the years or decades. Just because it’s not the “normal” way to do it doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Evolution is a part of the industry. Technology makes that possible. If that wasn’t the case I’d still be laying back Stems to DA-88’s or 32 track tape machines. Fortunately, for myself and others, we don’t have to do that anymore. Just because Pro Tools isn’t Video Editing software doesn’t mean it can’t spit out high res video with multitrack audio. Media Composer isn’t sold as audio mixing software but I know plenty of editors who are delivering straight from Media Composer or Premiere without mixing in Pro Tools or elsewhere. I would just like know what Pro Tools does with the video when Re-wrapping the Mov container.
Yeah, don't do it. It doesn't use the AVE, I believe it's still using old, now deprecated QuickTime code. If you load an MXF into Pro Tools it won't export video at all.

It's more a tool for quick ref copies than final deliverables. If you want to do deliverables, look at Resolve, but make sure you get the settings correct with regard to colour ranges etc. Alternatively, let someone who understands do it.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom View Post
This seems of interest to A LOT of people. Perhaps someone with direct contacts at Avid should inquire. Maybe a job for the Pro Tools Expert people?
They did a few articles on it a while back I think. One problem is 5.1 channel order is incorrect.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Yeah, don't do it. It doesn't use the AVE, I believe it's still using old, now deprecated QuickTime code. If you load an MXF into Pro Tools it won't export video at all.

It's more a tool for quick ref copies than final deliverables. If you want to do deliverables, look at Resolve, but make sure you get the settings correct with regard to colour ranges etc. Alternatively, let someone who understands do it.
Thanks. Good to know. I wasn’t planning on using it for final picture output but at least I can now give an honest answer to people who ask.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Thanks. Good to know. I wasn’t planning on using it for final picture output but at least I can now give an honest answer to people who ask.
Ah I thought your original post was referring to the video being kept the same so it could be used as a final deliverable.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Ah I thought your original post was referring to the video being kept the same so it could be used as a final deliverable.
Ha! It was. However, I personally never wanted to do that. It was a Post Supervisor asking me if it was possible and wanted to get accurate information before I gave my answer.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:19 AM

You could try it and do a difference key against the source in a video app to compare any visual differences.

I would think that PT *should* just rewrap the Video essence if doing Same As Souce.

Surely there’s some tight-turnaround edits that then finish audio & deliver from PR? Although in my experience we’ve always got the wavs back into the NLE for final delivery. There’s always something to tweak in the video!